PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple Platter

Jim Ketron
02-27-2007, 10:12 PM
This is my largest platter to date. It was turned in steps as I worked on this piece a few hours at a time over 3-4 days. It has some cool spalt lines, a little curl, some nice Ambrosia markings and a little bit of blue stain for good measure. I added some texturing and some beads on the rim and also some on the bottom side.
24 1/4" x 2 1/2"
Antique oil and buffed.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/AmbrosiaMaplePlatter.jpg

Detail of the rim
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/AmbrosiaMaplePlatter5.jpg

Backside.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/AmbrosiaMaplePlatter3.jpg

Backside detail of the bottom.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/AmbrosiaMaplePlatter4.jpg

Jim Becker
02-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Beautiful, Jim. The texturing is really a nice feature on this piece, too.

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2007, 10:41 PM
That is awesome Jim. I really like what you did with it. It is a beauty.

Steve Schlumpf
02-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Excellent work Jim! Beautiful wood, finish and amazing detail work! Seriously nice work!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2007, 1:03 AM
Looks great Jim!

Jonathon Spafford
02-28-2007, 1:59 AM
Gorgeous platter... the wood colors are magnificent! That texturing really makes the piece!

John Hart
02-28-2007, 6:21 AM
Wow! Beautiful! and 24" diameter?:eek: That's a lot of beauty!
Love the detail and the texturing. You've got a good eye and nice touch Jim. :)

Ron Raymond
02-28-2007, 8:04 AM
24"+ ? I've had kitchen tables smaller than that! Very nice texturing!

Mark Pruitt
02-28-2007, 8:35 AM
Beautiful!!!

Ed Scolforo
02-28-2007, 9:39 AM
That texturing really adds the final touch to an already beautiful piece of wood. Well done!
Ed

Mark Cothren
02-28-2007, 10:42 AM
An all-around excellent piece! And the size makes it even more impressive!

Hey... wonder what this platter would look like with the Baby Bowl sittin' on top of it? :)

Bill Wyko
02-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Jim you've done it again! Absolutly beautiful wood, style, pattern. Its got it all. Great job.

Frank Kobilsek
02-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Jim
That's an excellent platter. I am assuming you added the texture with a Sorbey texturing tool. Question: I make plates/platters from air dried stock (wide boards I bought at the estate auctions of woodworkers gone to the place where there is never a dull tool). The plates warps during turning enough to effect the depth of the texturing a give an uneven appearence. Its not enough to make the plate rock on a table but the texturing is not the quality I am hoping for. How you did it on a platter this big baffles me.

Frank

Jim Ketron
02-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Jim
That's an excellent platter. I am assuming you added the texture with a Sorbey texturing tool. Question: I make plates/platters from air dried stock (wide boards I bought at the estate auctions of woodworkers gone to the place where there is never a dull tool). The plates warps during turning enough to effect the depth of the texturing a give an uneven appearence. Its not enough to make the plate rock on a table but the texturing is not the quality I am hoping for. How you did it on a platter this big baffles me.

Frank

I have found that out too Frank!
I use found wood 99.99% of the time so it is not kiln or air dried.
And you have a very good question and I will try to explain how I did this one. In my post you will see where I said I did this platter in steps.
Step 1: Was to get the back to the shape I wanted and turn a tenon.
Step 2: Sand and texture the back. so its ready for finish except finishing off the tenon.
Step 3: Reverse and true up the face of the blank.
Step 4: Turn the rim to shape and sand, leaving the inside alone for stability.
Step 5: Turn my beads and texture the rim.
Step 6: Turn the inside and sand.
Step 7: Reverse again using the vac chuck and take off the tenon and sand that area.
Step 8: Put some finish on
Step 9: Buff
So by leaving the center thick and not turning it all down at one time allowed me to work in a small area and not causing as much movement in that area before texturing or cutting my beads.
Jim

Frank Kobilsek
02-28-2007, 2:01 PM
Thanks Jim,
I've done dye work that way so I don't have to mask. I'll try it on platter rims too.

Frank

Keith Burns
02-28-2007, 3:54 PM
Jim, this is just downright one excellent piece ! Just doesn't get any better:) :)

Tom Sherman
02-28-2007, 6:16 PM
Yowsa boss, that's cool.

Kevin McPeek
02-28-2007, 6:56 PM
Very nice! I really like the texturing, great piece.