PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Dust Solution

Marc Prudhomme
02-27-2007, 9:36 PM
Good Evening Gentleman,
With all the discussions and arguments(opinions) over Dust collection on here I thought I would put in my 2 cents.
Me ,the amatuer,have figured out the perfect solution.
Ready here we go:
Step1. Do not share your woodworking space with your home.
Garage shop or Outdoor shack only.

Step 2 sell all that expensive Dust collection units and air filters,hoses
vacs,etc.and buy a good broom and dust pan.

Step 3 wear a spacesuit while woodworking.

Problem solved.
Does anyone see anything I might of missed?
Good nite
Marc

Jon Shively
02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Marc, I know you have put a lot of thought on this. I agree with one and two. Believe it or not, there are woodworkers out there that do suit up not unlike a spaceman to work.
So my three:

1. Research, research and do more research on the best possible dust collection for you and your situation.

2. The more woodworking I do, the more I sand and create fine/harmful dust as I am more diligent in my tasks and the pieces created are more deserving of the time spent on a fine finish.

3. Work safe, enjoy this hobby, share this hobby either through sharing with others the space and equipment and abilities of ourselves or through donations of items created to worthwhile causes/charities.

Be happy that your questions were not ignored, nor met with disdain, and that the information is out there to make an informed decision. Bottom line, you are the one that best knows your situation, no one here is going or should tell you in black and white what it is you should buy, how to install how to use and all of that information. You as a responsible adult get to make that decision for yourself, does suck sometimes to be a responsible adult doesn't it!!! grin Have a great night Marc.

Eric Wong
02-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Spacesuit! What a great idea! Just make sure that the faceplate is ANSI certified, since I really don't want to wear safety glasses under the helmet. That would be just plain inconvenient. Now, who wants to put up some investment capital?

glenn bradley
02-27-2007, 11:51 PM
A spacesuit! That's a great idea. Just think of all the bathroom breaks I won't have to take!

Noah Katz
02-28-2007, 12:49 AM
"Garage shop or Outdoor shack only.
Does anyone see anything I might of missed?"

Yes. It doesn't solve the problem of every surface in my garage being covered with with dust after using my TS.

Randal Stevenson
02-28-2007, 1:17 AM
That's a great idea. Just think of all the bathroom breaks I won't have to take!

I thought they had a vaccum for that. LOL:D

Dan Forman
02-28-2007, 3:52 AM
Hand tools would limit the dust anyway.

Dan

Marc Prudhomme
02-28-2007, 5:07 AM
It was just a little humor guys,Thats all.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-28-2007, 9:03 AM
I just subtracted the 90 minutes off the back end of my life and moved on. Besides, this is a relatively small deduction compared to the deduction for my poor diet and sedentary lifestyle.

-Jeff :)

Ted Miller
02-28-2007, 11:16 AM
The best DC there is to set up shop, buy the most expensive and nice looking tools you can get. Arrange your shop, place a very comfortable chair in the middle of the shop, and then just look at what you have but do not use the tools, just admire them. Caution you may wear out your eyes staring at all those tools...

Mike Seals
02-28-2007, 1:36 PM
Wrong on all counts, use your neighbors shop, what's a good neighbor for anyhoo.

Stan Welborn
02-28-2007, 1:44 PM
:D

http://www.liftmyrod.com/Safety/RespiratoryProtection/3M-7190.jpg

Ron Brese
02-28-2007, 2:17 PM
Hand tools cut down on sanding and dust considerably.

Ron

wayne ateser
02-28-2007, 4:31 PM
hold your breath?

Darroll Walsh
02-28-2007, 4:51 PM
Why not hook up a mask as shown by Stan to the outside? Just use flexiable hose like a dryer vent, then you can walk anywhere in the shop and breath fresh air.

As for the bathroom, just get a colostomy bag.

Didier Champauzac
02-28-2007, 5:11 PM
I bet a "regular" spacesuit would cost much more than any fancy DC integrated system.

Randy Denby
02-28-2007, 8:09 PM
Shoot....doesnt look like I'm gonna get out of this world alive !:o