PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut NE

Mark Cothren
02-27-2007, 9:14 PM
Small chunk of wood left over from a big cutoff... lots of sapwood... just wanted to see how a little NE would turn out... ended up 6" x 5" x 3-1/4"... antique oil finish.

Neal Addy
02-27-2007, 9:20 PM
That's the most impressive example of keeping the bark on that I've ever seen. Amazing tool control!

We're not worthy!!

Benjamin Dahl
02-27-2007, 9:28 PM
I have just started turning after focusing on flatwork and a lot of my inspiration has come from posts like this. I am impressed and hope to someday turn something so nice. thanks.
-Ben

William Fourness
02-27-2007, 10:03 PM
I have found that if natural edge bowl blanks are cut in late winter or when the tree is dorment, the natural edge will hold better and is more stronger. It due to the lack of sap and the cold weather causing shrinkage in the tree which tightens the whole tree up. Just a thought about natural edge bowl blanks.
Bill

That's the most impressive example of keeping the bark on that I've ever seen. Amazing tool control!

We're not worthy!!

Seth Poorman
02-27-2007, 10:46 PM
[quote=Neal Addy]That's the most impressive example of keeping the bark on that I've ever seen. Amazing tool control!

Took the words out of my mouth!!
Nice Job Mark !!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow Mark that is beautiful. I can't believe the way the bark stayed. Awesome job. I hope I can do something like that with the walnut from John H.

Ron Erickson
02-27-2007, 10:50 PM
That is alot of bark, great job.

Steve Schlumpf
02-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Another beautiful turning Mark! Love the sapwood!

Curt Fuller
02-27-2007, 11:24 PM
I'll add my "atta boy" for the job of hanging on to that bark. That's a great looking bowl. What causes that strange color in that walnut. I've had a few pieces with that unusual color too.

Mark Cothren
02-27-2007, 11:31 PM
I have found that if natural edge bowl blanks are cut in late winter or when the tree is dorment, the natural edge will hold better and is more stronger. It due to the lack of sap and the cold weather causing shrinkage in the tree which tightens the whole tree up. Just a thought about natural edge bowl blanks.
Bill

Maybe speaking in general that is a true statement, William. But in this case I can tell you this big ol' Walnut tree was cut around the end of last summer and then laid on the ground over 2 months before I harvested it. It's been in the yard, out in the weather, ever since I brought it home. I've turned several NE bowls from this wood - some 18"-19" all the way down to this little 6" one and I have yet to lose the bark (with the exception of a chunk on the very outer edge of one bowl).

I also cut a big Black Cherry here in Arkansas last summer that I have turned many NE bowls from and the bark is tighter than Dick's hatband. Maybe we grow 'em different down here in Arkyville?? :D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2007, 1:01 AM
Nicely done Mark! That's a knockout!

Jonathon Spafford
02-28-2007, 2:00 AM
Another beautiful Cothren black walnut!!! Love it!

John Hart
02-28-2007, 6:24 AM
I like it Mark. I've been noticing on the walnut that I've gotten, that the sapwood holds just as much delight as the heartwood. You've shown it here. Nicely done.

Mark Cothren
02-28-2007, 7:59 AM
Thanks everyone!

What causes that strange color in that walnut. I've had a few pieces with that unusual color too.

I dunno, Curt. This particular tree was pretty large (about 36"+ in diameter at the base) and the sapwood on the bigger pieces was pretty thick. If you look back at some of the NE bowls I turned back in Nov '06 this little piece came from that same wood.

Mark Pruitt
02-28-2007, 8:53 AM
I've got to get used to the idea of 6" bowls being "little.":p

That's a great NE and an excellent job at retaining the bark!

George Conklin
02-28-2007, 9:35 AM
Wow! Now that's what you call bark!!! Very impressive, Mark:) .

Ed Scolforo
02-28-2007, 9:37 AM
A beauty, Mark!

Keith Burns
02-28-2007, 4:05 PM
Nice bark Mark !:D

Jeff Cybulski
02-28-2007, 8:19 PM
Mark - best NE bowl I've seen - Amazing!

Jeff

Dennis Peacock
03-01-2007, 1:12 AM
Yet another awesome piece Mark!!!!! You've got these NE's down pat. Beautiful. :cool:

Glenn Hodges
03-01-2007, 8:31 AM
Good work Mark.