PDA

View Full Version : New wood Gloat and Construction pictures

Paul Greathouse
02-27-2007, 8:57 PM
My son called today and said to bring the trailer to their jobsite. He and my Dad have a heavy equipment construction company and are doing some clearing for a new subdivision at one of the local golf courses. He had a Cherry log and couple of good White Oak logs for me, plus what should be a clear pine log that will make some good paint-grade trim stock.

Sorting through the pile.

Found some good ones.

Getting one loaded. I've got a few more pictures to follow in the next post.

lou sansone
02-27-2007, 9:03 PM
neat ... I guess I did not know that black cherry grew that far south
once you saw it up, post some photos of it if you can

thanks
lou

Eric Wong
02-27-2007, 9:04 PM
Sweet! Nice score. I'd buy it if you have any left over, but I think the shipping would kill me :D

Paul Greathouse
02-27-2007, 9:10 PM

These two measured about 28" on the small end, just the right size for a bandsaw mill.

Here's the Cherry log being loaded. It's not the straightest, but we don't get much Cherry down here. We should be able to get a some good short boards out of it.

This is the second load, a White Oak and the pine.

Here's the log carrier that they bring the logs up from the back with. It's really ashamed that the majority of these logs will be make into pallets. The guy that buys them from my Dad saws them into lumber and then sells them to a pallet company in Texas.

Jim Becker
02-27-2007, 9:14 PM
Well, while I'd rather see the wood used for furniture, at least going into pallets isn't burning it...at least not now, anyway.

Nice haul on the logs; figuratively and literally! (That thumb on the bucket really makes loading them up a snap, too!)

Paul Greathouse
02-27-2007, 9:22 PM

My son repositioning the logs on the trailer, he's just as maticulous with his operating as I am with cabinetmaking.

One of the doziers had to get into the picture too.

The pine log being loaded.

This is the view across the street. There's plenty of high dollar houses on this golf course. Too rich for my blood.

Back home, my younger son helping me unload the gloat in the barnyard.

Jim Fox
02-27-2007, 9:23 PM
It's official.............you suck!:D

Tim Malyszko
02-27-2007, 9:35 PM
Very cool. Too bad they are becoming pallets.

Paul Greathouse
02-27-2007, 9:38 PM
It's official.............you suck!:D

I definately suck at heavy equipment work thats why my son will be taking over the family business some day instead of me. I guess the equipment operating gene skipped a generation. I just never did care for it and my dad didn't try to push me into it. I did have to do alot of grunt mechanic work when I was younger and still living at home.

I do love cabinetmaking and just about any kind of woodworking. I just feel blessed that I have access to all this great wood.