PDA

View Full Version : OOPS! Mistake with Dye Shade

John Towns
02-27-2007, 8:41 PM
After applying the dye on a QS White Oak table, I realized the shade was too dark. The only problem, I had already applied a sealer.

I plan to strip the sealer and then use wood bleach to remove the dye color.

My question is, how much of a negative effect will the sealer (and stripping chemical) have on the effectiveness of the bleach in removing the dye?

Gee, if I had only.......!

John

Neil Bosdet
02-27-2007, 11:10 PM
What did you seal with and what do you plan to strip the sealer off with? Is your dye water or alcohol based?

John Towns
03-01-2007, 8:42 PM
Neil,

I sealed it with Waterlox Original Sealer...one coat. Have not determined what to use to strip it.

As it turns out. The lady I am making the items for actually really likes the shae as it is, so I lucked out on this one. But for future reference, I would still like to know about the effectiveness of the wood bleach once it has been sealed , and then stripped.

John

Russ Filtz
03-02-2007, 7:24 AM
I think with some dye/stains you can get them out with ammonia. I even used windex once and it worked! Not sure if it was water or alcohol based stain though.

Steve Schoene
03-02-2007, 10:32 AM
If you could really strip all the old finish bleach would work fine, though best use the stronger swimming pool chlorine. But, the places the bleach won't reach are also the places the stripper missed too. Substantial sanding is the answer. Of course, with only a few small grain lines or pores left with some color, they will not be very visible even with a light dye over them.