PDA

View Full Version : Drink the Incra kool-aid?

Calvin Crutchfield
02-27-2007, 8:38 PM
I have been all over the incra site and here of course trying to decide on a new fence. I am currently using the General Bies type but will be getting a new SawStop and was thinking about the Incra.

However, I'm a bit confused with packages & types.

Could someone help me clarify the distinction between the:

TS-LS
TS-LS Joinery System
TS-III
TS-III Joinery System

It appears that the phrase "joinery System" adds the router fence and accessories. But what is the distinction between the TS-LS and TSIII?

I would like to get a base system first and add on later, but I want to make sure I don't get a system that has limits on its upgradeabilty .

So, those of you with the system, any regrets? I have used a Bies type fence for years happily, but the incra looks like a good way to go I want to make sure I dont fall prey to the incra kool-aid and not see the whole picture.

cheers

Darroll Walsh
02-27-2007, 8:46 PM
Just ordered the TS-LS myself. I beleive that the TS-LS is the upgrade from the TS-III and has a Stanless steel lead screw instead of a plastic one.

Rich Person
02-27-2007, 9:00 PM
It is a little more complicated that that. The two systems have different technologies involved in the base unit. They also have different read-out locations. The fine adjustment method and location are both different as well (LS is at the fence, III is at the base). At one time, the III came with an extruded fence and the LS came with a milled fence.

http://www.person.smugmug.com/photos/72707210-M.jpg

When I bought my LS, they sent me the extruded fence and it was warped enough to cause problems. They replaced it with the milled fence above (left) which was perfect. I'm not sure which is included now.

Pete Brown
02-27-2007, 10:26 PM
The TS-LS is, IMHO, the way to go. The LS adds the LS positioner which gives finer control over how far the fence moves.

If you buy Incra, get it from Woodpeckers (http://www.woodpeck.com). Those guys are great.

In fact, if you join the e-Club (see the huge link on their site), they have a special running through Friday where you can get $30-$50 off the TS packages.

Pete