PDA

View Full Version : Woodsmith plans

Jim Thiel
02-27-2007, 7:19 PM
I've been looking through some auctions looking for new inspiration and have found a load of Woodsmith on the cheap (so far). To those of you that subscribe, are the plans offered in the magazine complete, or just teasers to get you to buy the full plan(...we made this cabinet from cherry veneers and solids. a measured drawing is available for 129.95 plus s&h.)

Jim

Mike Waddell
02-27-2007, 7:32 PM
Hi Jim -

I've built several projects from plans in Woodsmith (including a great workbench) and have found their plans to be more than enough to complete a project in each case.

I generally don't build the smaller projects that they have, but once or twice I think they had some templates in the issue that were used for a project. You may want to make sure that those templates are in the stash that you found if you plan on doing any of their smaller projects.

Hope that helps...

Mike

glenn bradley
02-27-2007, 8:21 PM
One of the reasons I stay with Woodsmith is that in almost every issue they will have an 'heirloom project'. Very complete plans using traditional joinery. The article is usually written by the person that built the piece for the pictures so you get the inside view on assembly sequence and other gotcha's. they also offer 'online extras' on their website which include cutting diagrams, CORRECTIONS, etc. for published plans.

Robert Strasser
02-27-2007, 8:40 PM
I've made several pieces of furniture and small items from their plans. Overall, I think they are the best. Not always perfect, but generally better than others I've tried.

But I've learned my lesson. Don't blindly go to a cutting list and start cutting. Check the plans well!