PDA

View Full Version : Can I gloat Now?

Don Farr
12-09-2003, 6:30 PM
I Love my new Talon lathe chuck. It performs as good or better than as expected. NOW!!!! I know that it is not much, compared to some of the wonderful post here lately, but you must understand that I have been in a battle with OLD dead oak tree for a long time. I think this piece of wood must have been extra harden over t,me. If I still told dirty jokes I would tell you it was as HARD AS. It was harder than the maple bowl that I posted earlier.

Anyway I know that you guys are always supportive, so here go's.

Jason Roehl
12-09-2003, 6:33 PM
Shore is a purty hunk o' wood you got yerself there, Don. Thanks for sharing, and keep at it!

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-09-2003, 6:37 PM
Don, that is one really AWESOME Bowl you turned! I like everything about it..............the rounded rim, the thickness of the walls in proportion to the size, and the wood itself is beautiful! A VERY, VERY nice section of Oak. Beautiful Grain and that spalting is the best! Well seasoned Oak is a challenge to turn, but you won the battle, and won it in style also. The Talon is a great compact chuck, and it really hangs onto whatever you put in it. Nice work Don, and great photos too. Thanks for sharing the work, I just can't get over the beauty of that Oak Bowl.....................now that is NICE! :D

Halsey MCCombs
12-09-2003, 6:39 PM
I like the grain pattern,well worth your effort. What are your plans for a finish?Halsey

Don Farr
12-09-2003, 7:35 PM
I have not decided on the finish yet. Any suggestions? I did not turn it as thin as I wanted to, but I have had so many failures that I just chickened out and stopped when I did. I can not tell you the number of times that this came apart.

Don Farr
12-09-2003, 7:38 PM
Oh! Thanks for your help and support Kevin. ;)

Glenn Hodges
12-09-2003, 7:56 PM
I have sworn off oak, but after seeing your nice bowl I might try it again. I turned 10 bowls from green oak, and 9 of them split wide open, only got one bowl out of the 10. I should have started with dry wood like you. The spalting on this bowl is super.

Tom Sweeney
12-09-2003, 8:06 PM
turn a bowl on it eh? ;)

Don I'll say you can gloat - & I don't mean about the chuck either - that is one gorgeous bowl - I mean it- it's fantastic. That last pic looks like it's a snakeskin bowl :cool:

The orientation you got for the grain - the spalting the "weight" of it - I like it all!

Great work for sure!

Jim Becker
12-09-2003, 9:41 PM
Awesome. You really got that piece of wood positioned "lovely" as you can see from the grain pattern in the first picture. Keep on turning, Don...you're good at it!

Don Farr
12-10-2003, 8:13 AM
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I felt that old piece of oak was a milestone that I had to pass before I went any further with my turning. I wanted to prove to myself that my head was harder than that wood. :D
Now if I can just find myself some cherry or some of that beautiful box elder I'll be in hog heaven.(Sorry for the southern slang).

Bob Lasley
12-10-2003, 8:32 AM
Don,

Suppose you'll ever do flat stuff again? That is a beautiful bowl my friend. Like the others, I love the spalting in that piece. Amazing what persistence can do.

BTW, I understand that southern slang just fine. It's real close to the language we speak here in Okieland.

Bob

Don Farr
12-10-2003, 6:33 PM
I got her off Kevin, Maybe a little unconventional but what ever works in a pinch. I used double stick tape on the faceplate and bought the tail stock in to support it. Cut it down to about a 1/4 inch and then it just broke off. This got me by until I can order what you suggested.

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-11-2003, 9:55 AM
I got her off Kevin, Maybe a little unconventional but what ever works in a pinch. I used double stick tape on the faceplate and bought the tail stock in to support it. Cut it down to about a 1/4 inch and then it just broke off. This got me by until I can order what you suggested.

Don, I should have suggested that method to you yesterday as well. I have used that exact method with good results. But, being the enterprising Guy you are, I knew you would figure something out! :) Ya have to excuse me for not thinking of that, I have been home from work for 2 days with the worst Sinus Infection I can ever remember having. Between the Congestion in my Head and Chest and the medication, I don't know which way is up half of the time! :D (I guess I should refrain from using my Power Tools in my current condition.) :rolleyes: Nice Bowl Don, I look forward to seeing a pic or two when you get it finished. LOVE that section of Oak!

Don Farr
12-11-2003, 10:21 AM
Don, I should have suggested that method to you yesterday as well. I have used that exact method with good results. But, being the enterprising Guy you are, I knew you would figure something out! :) Ya have to excuse me for not thinking of that, I have been home from work for 2 days with the worst Sinus Infection I can ever remember having. Between the Congestion in my Head and Chest and the medication, I don't know which way is up half of the time! :D (I guess I should refrain from using my Power Tools in my current condition.) :rolleyes: Nice Bowl Don, I look forward to seeing a pic or two when you get it finished. LOVE that section of Oak!

I certainly hope you get to feeling better soon. At one time I could count on having a sinus infection at least twice a year, so I know what you are going through. My doctor put me on a spray called Nasonx(sp) and I rarely have them any more (Knock on wood) :D
Although turning that oak almost made me sick because of the dust. I wised up and started wearing a mask untill it was complete. Then doubled up on my spray for a couple of days. Get well soon.