PDA

View Full Version : Is this Jet jointer a good deal???

Shannon Seelig
02-27-2007, 7:05 PM
I have an opportunity to purchase a JJ-6csx jointer. It is about 7 years old (the blue model). The owner says that is has seen about 5 hours of use. He bought it brand new and says it performs excellent. He is asking 250.00. Are the blue models as sturdy and reliable as the new jets?

I am slowly purchasing my big shop equipment since "the Creek" has inspired me beyond belief. I have a Makita 12" jointer and so far very happy with it. I am actively looking for a jointer and wondering if this jet fits the bill? I don't think I need an 8" one just yet because I'm just starting out and never had a joniter before.

Any help and information would be appreciated.

scott spencer
02-27-2007, 7:13 PM
If it's in good shape that's not a bad price. It's hard to do much better for $250, though the new one's are on sale for $400, but I believe they're made in China vs Taiwan for the older models.

Brad Knabel
02-27-2007, 7:32 PM
Shannon,
I have the white 6" Jet that I got when they first changed colors. I think the only significant difference is that the current motor is 1 HP versus 3/4 on the blue models. I don't think I would miss the 1/4 HP in the blue model.

I've been happy with my jointer except that I often wish it were a little bigger. It's a solid machine and hasn't needed any service other than the occasional coat of wax. At that price I think its a good deal. You could probably resell it at that price or close to it if you decide to upgrade in a few years.

I'd take a straightedge and make sure the tables are flat and also ask to see it under power.

Shannon Seelig
02-27-2007, 10:12 PM
The blue jet and mobile stand for 300.00? Still good deal or a little steep because of the wooodcraft 10% off of 399?