PDA

View Full Version : Something new from my shop

Wolf Kiessling
12-09-2003, 5:41 PM
The finished items isn't exactly a new thing but it was something entirely new for me because I have never carved a Santa, never carved an ornamental spoon (even though I have carved several dozen functional kitchen spoons), rarely ever put paint to a piece of wood, and even more rarely use someone else's design.

While I was perusing the last issue of WCI, I spotted the pattern for this Santa spoon. It occurred to me that I had a piece of catalpa in the shop that would be just right for this project. I had processed it to make a bear but it turned out too small. If I split it, however, it would be just enough to make two of these spoons. So, that is what I did. I bandsawed both pieces to the rough shape and carved the Santa. The other piece I intend to turn into a wizard. The difference will be that with the wizard I will drop the pommel from the hat, he will sport a different mustache, an entirely different facial expression will be demonstrated and a different paint scheme will be used.

This was a fun project. I may do more of this sort of thing with scraps when I get them.

Don Abele
12-09-2003, 5:44 PM
Wolf that is fantastic. How long did that take you to make? Thanks for sharing the pic.

Be well,

Doc

Bob Lasley
12-09-2003, 5:49 PM
That is really cool Wolf! I like the way the beard hangs down into the spoon. Are you sure that's not a self portrait though? I kinda see a resemblance. ;)

Seriously, it looks great and I look forward to seeing the wizard.

Bob

Carl Eyman
12-09-2003, 5:54 PM
Wish I could do that. Guess I'll never do it till I try. So I;ll put it on my list. Very fine work.

Tom Sweeney
12-09-2003, 6:21 PM
I wish I had the patience & talent to do stuff like that.

I thought the same as Bob though when I first saw it -
Trim Santa's beard & mustache & it's a self portrait :D

Wolf Kiessling
12-09-2003, 7:22 PM
Wolf that is fantastic. How long did that take you to make? Thanks for sharing the pic.

Be well,

Doc

Don, as best as I can figure I've got about 20 hours in that thing. Now I have a question for you. I've heard you mention a couple of times that you are in the Navy. Is that picture of you an old one? I am under the impression that beards are no longer legit like they were in the 70's when Zumwald authorized them.

Tom and Bob, I don't think it's a self portrait. I ain't that good looking nor that jolly. When I get around to the wizard it'll be more like it.

Wolf

Steve King
12-09-2003, 9:25 PM
Wolf,
That is amazing that you can produce that kind of work in 20 hours. I think we should contact HGTV and have them showcase your talent on Modern Masters!!!!!!!
Thanks again for showing your work
Steve King

P.S. I remember the Zumwald years and it sure stirred up a lot of the lifers!

Don Abele
12-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Wolf - you've caught me. :D I am in the Navy, have been for 18 years. And no, beards are not authorized. That picture was taken during a 4 month deployment. That was somewhere around day 87 or so of being underwater. Submarines have a nonregulation policy of letting us go unshaven during extended underway times. But we are always clean shaven before pulling into port. So why did I use that as an avatar? I'm the family cameraman, there are few pics of me that I like...and that one was available when I joined SMC. I'll update it eventually.

Please be sure to let us see the wizard when he's done - you have more patience than I. Again, excellent work.

Be well,

Doc

Tom Hintz
12-10-2003, 5:29 AM
Wolf, (cool name by the way...)
Thanks for the photo and for saving me some time! I just moved the blanks I had for making spoons to the segment pile to be made into bowls, something I feel better about being able to actually do.
If this is your first attempt at this kind of work, you may have discovered a hidden talent! Keep it up!

The finished items isn't exactly a new thing but it was something entirely new for me because I have never carved a Santa, never carved an ornamental spoon (even though I have carved several dozen functional kitchen spoons), rarely ever put paint to a piece of wood, and even more rarely use someone else's design.

While I was perusing the last issue of WCI, I spotted the pattern for this Santa spoon. It occurred to me that I had a piece of catalpa in the shop that would be just right for this project. I had processed it to make a bear but it turned out too small. If I split it, however, it would be just enough to make two of these spoons. So, that is what I did. I bandsawed both pieces to the rough shape and carved the Santa. The other piece I intend to turn into a wizard. The difference will be that with the wizard I will drop the pommel from the hat, he will sport a different mustache, an entirely different facial expression will be demonstrated and a different paint scheme will be used.

This was a fun project. I may do more of this sort of thing with scraps when I get them.