PDA

View Full Version : Wall clock finish suggestions

charles lewis
02-27-2007, 4:55 PM
I`ve built a Edmonton wall clock for my LOML out of cherry but she wants it a darker color I`m thinking of maybe adding cherry dye to base coat of Blo and using clear shellac as a toner coat and clear after that what do you suggest is there a simpler way I can go the more I read the more confused I get any suggestions?

Jim Becker
02-27-2007, 6:19 PM
Blasphemy!! :eek:

But if you must (and the LOYL's requirements trump all...), use a dye to darken it up and garnet shellac as a toner. DO TEST PIECES on scrap of your material before you even think about applying it to your clock. Test and test again...through your intended top coat...to be sure you get what you want and remember it will get a little darker over time due to UV and oxidation.

charles lewis
02-27-2007, 8:27 PM
Thanks Jim always appreciate your replies to forum questions and abundant amount of knowledge?what would be the best way to apply the initial coat of dye ,I assume spraying would be the ideal application I don`t have a HLVP sprayer but do have a airless wagner that has a stain tip ,guess I could try it on scrap to see how it works out.
I`ll try and post some pics when I`m done can`t seem to get my images small enough to upload after I resize them and they seem to be fuzzy

Jim Becker
02-27-2007, 8:39 PM
I use water soluable dyes and apply them with a soft paper rag, blending as I go. If you choose alcohol soluable dyes, you really need to spray them...your airless would not be a good choice for that, IMHO, nor other typical clear coats, either.

Your photo problem is likely related to the software you are using. There are several good photo applications available for free or for under $100 if you want to go that route. Picassa is one that folks are talking about more and more...and it's free. You want the ablity to resize in pixels to about 640 wide and then save as a JPG with appropriate compression that makes for a file size under the 100kb limit for SMC. The result is a good, clear picture that is large enough to see details while still having a compact, Internet friendly file size.

Randy Acton
03-04-2007, 2:34 PM
I cringe ereytime someone tells me they put stain on cherry.

Give cherry the time it deserves and it will have a beautiful dark patina and show all of it's grain that would otherwise be disguised by stains.

Bruce Page
03-04-2007, 3:53 PM
Charles, some call it sacrilege, but sometimes you just don’t want to wait on the ageing process.
I found a workable compromise on my granddaughters cradle. The cherry is finished with a light coat of Seal-Coat & de-natured alcohol, two coats of Bartley’s Pennsylvania Cherry gel coat and 3 coats of Bartley’s wipe-on varnish.

Jim DeLaney
03-04-2007, 7:26 PM
A little weak lye solution (a teaspoon in a quart of water) wiped or brushed on the cherry will darken it immediately. Wait a short time and neutralize it with a weak vinegar solution. Let it dry thoroughly, and you'll have your deep, dark cherry coloring without resorting to stains or dyes.

Remember, though that the lye is a very caustic solution. BE SURE TO USE GLOVES AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, EYE PROTECTION WHEN MIXING AND USING IT!

charles lewis
03-06-2007, 8:03 PM
:)Thank`s men I have really been dragging my feet on finishing this clock for the LOML and I think she is starting to see the crime of covering such a beautiful wood with dye or stain I like all the suggestions and will add them to my finishing arsenal. thankyou all for the great suggestions