PDA

View Full Version : New Rocking Chair design and new joint (pics)

Scott Morrison
02-27-2007, 4:23 PM
Hi everyone. I don't remember if I've ever posted here before, but I thought you might like to see my latest design, the Butterfly Rocker, which features my newly created "butterfly joint", for the leg/seat attachments.
http://www.finewoodworker.com/images/misc/IMG_2147.jpg
http://www.finewoodworker.com/images/misc/IMG_2161.jpg
http://www.finewoodworker.com/images/misc/IMG_2168.jpg
http://www.finewoodworker.com/images/misc/IMG_2169.jpg

The wood is Oregon Black Walnut, the finish is hand-rubbed Tung Oil and wax. The design features flexible spindles (splats), lots of hand shaping and nice curves. (From the front view, it reminds me of the gentle curves of a woman's shape).

Thanks for looking!

Darroll Walsh
02-27-2007, 4:29 PM
Oh that's nice Scott.

glenn bradley
02-27-2007, 4:35 PM
Beautiful work and the joint adds some real character as well as structure.

Belinda Barfield
02-27-2007, 4:37 PM
The lines on this rocker are just lovely! I agree that the butterfly joints add character. I bet it is really comfortable as well. Nice job!!

Earl Kelly
02-27-2007, 5:05 PM
Hey, I just saw a chair exactly like this one. I don't see how the guy made it though, he has 10 thumbs!!!

Pete Brown
02-27-2007, 5:22 PM
That's really beautiful Scott. I like everything about it. The top of the back gives the chair a stern look (like furrowed eyebrows) which makes me want to snap to attention and recite my times tables ;)

Can you tell us a bit about the construction, specifically the butterfly joint? It looks like you notch the seat so that the notch is square up top and rounded on the bottom (opposite for the bottom notch). I assume the notches are also joined so the leg can run right through them?

I've never made a chair, so if the answer is obvious, forgive me :)

Pete

Dan Oliphant
02-27-2007, 5:26 PM
Welcome to the creek Scott, very nice looking rocker, well executed.

Steve Wargo
02-27-2007, 5:46 PM
Great chair... and great web site. Nicely done.

Per Swenson
02-27-2007, 6:02 PM
Scott,

Anything I write would be a understatement.

So I'm gonna try, Fanstastic.

Per

Joe Unni
02-27-2007, 6:21 PM
Just beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing.

-joe

Al Killian
02-27-2007, 6:37 PM
Scott, That is a fantasic chair. Please they/show us how you make them joints.:confused:

Roy McQuay
02-27-2007, 8:57 PM
Beautiful Scott, I think Sam Maloof would be impressed.

Roy Wall
02-27-2007, 9:00 PM
Scott,

That rocker is...................magnificent! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Don Bullock
02-27-2007, 9:02 PM
Simply beautiful!! I'm at a loss for words. That's certainly the work of a master. Thanks for sharing.

Ron Brese
02-27-2007, 9:03 PM
A good looking slinky woman at that! That joint is quite exquisite. It's a beautiful chair.

Ron

Tom Cowie
02-27-2007, 9:07 PM
Scott,

Anything I write would be a understatement.

So I'm gonna try, Fanstastic.

Per

I'm with Per on this,Wow

I have a neighbor that makes rockers he will definitly be impressed

Tom

John Shuk
02-27-2007, 9:12 PM
Very nice chair is an understatement. Let me guess you didn't cut that joint with a router.

Brian Penning
02-27-2007, 9:22 PM
Very very nice design. I like your version of Maloof`s joints. The seat looks like it's one piece.

Eric Wong
02-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Sweet chair!
Please post more pics!

Mark Singer
02-28-2007, 12:52 AM
Scott ....excellent! A lot of thought and work and a lot of skill is evident here! Originality is what I appreciate most I think. You have managed to design something oriiginal and that is worthy of note....we see so many "want to be" versions....this is a fresh idea and designed for function...fine joinery and a very refined finiehed product....I know the effort that goes into designing and making chairs ....this is great work!

Ron Blaise
02-28-2007, 6:00 AM
Beautiful joinery, sexy curves and great looking wood! That's craftsmanship. Is this a hobby or are you a pro?

Jeffrey Makiel
02-28-2007, 8:56 AM
Originality and skill...this project screams both. Posts like this are the best part of being SMC'er.

Well done!
-Jeff :)

Scott Morrison
02-28-2007, 8:59 AM
Thank you for the wonderful and encouraging comments everyone. I appreciate them all.

I am a professional chairmaker, having turned pro about 6 years ago. I'll post some additional information and pics about the Butterfly Joint soon, including instructions on how to make it (not too difficult).

Thanks again all.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-28-2007, 9:58 AM
very pretty chair. It looks like you departed from Maloof's typical rail-to-leg attachment.

Did you use screws or dowels?

Mark Singer
02-28-2007, 10:05 AM
So another Laguna Woodworker moves out of town:rolleyes: Randy says Hi!

Mark Valsi
02-28-2007, 10:36 AM
exceptionally well done !

If it is for sale, I hope you get a lot of $$$$

John Timberlake
02-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Terrific! I love the design and you put a lot of work into getting it right. Makes you want to sit in the folds of her arms. Will be looking for the joint details.

Rich Torino
02-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Magnificient work... I look foward to seeing the detail on the butterfly joint

Matt Day
02-28-2007, 12:29 PM
I'd love to see how that joint is constructed. You say it's not that hard, but either way you excuted it perfectly! Well done.

Pete Lamberty
02-28-2007, 1:17 PM
There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said. I agree with everyone, you designed a beautiful chair. I hope you stick around here at the Creek and show us some more of your work. Maybe a photo essay on how you work would be real nice but I suppose to time consumeing for you. I also am wondering about how you have gone about designing this chair. Do you use a CAD program? Do you make models? I think I read somewhere that when Mario Rodriguez (well known woodworker) designs a new chair he has to make about three of them before he gets a "good" one. Do you find that this is true of your work also? How do you market your work? Whew, lots of questions huh? Thanks for sharing! Pete