PDA

View Full Version : Innovative Saw Bridge

Keith Outten
02-27-2007, 4:01 PM
This is not an advertisement for our Friend Dino's EZ System.

I spent some time yesterday and this morning watching videos of Dino's bridge system. I have to admit I am very impressed with how it works and how innovative the folks at Eurekazone have been creating this new addition to their product line. If you haven't seen the new bridge system click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKmIxFNhIN8) to watch the first video of the bridge close up. Note how the parallel arms swing the bridge up and away to slide the material and allow the bridge to set back down on the material for cutting. The second video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I4bg4jjtz8&mode=related&search=) and third video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmoUxMXZR_o&mode=user&search=) are of the bridge cutting plastic as in the first but with a different perspective.

Possibly I am impressed by the bridge because I just spent several days cross cutting Corian sheets then cutting hundreds of 4" strips for custom base molding. The new bridge system would have made the task a whole lot easier.
I can see how this setup could be a huge advantage to carpenters who work onsite doing trim work, people who have no shop space and have to have tools that are mobile and anyone who enjoys tools that are flexible.

Some of you may not frequent the Eurekazone Forum here at the Creek and may have missed this very slick new gear so I felt it was worth a new thread to bring it to your attention.
I don't buy many new tools these days but it looks like I am going to have to order this one :)

Jim Becker
02-27-2007, 4:15 PM
Very interesting and innovative...Dino, ya done good!

That said, while I understand the point of the, umm...coffee drinking...while cutting in video two, I hope too many young woodworkers don't get the idea that it is a safe practice in the shop. ;)

Pete Brown
02-27-2007, 4:27 PM
Very nice.

My original question on the post some time ago still stands. Besides price (assuming that is an advantage) what, if anything, does this have over the Festool MFT + TS Saw setup?

That's not a dig or anything, I'm still genuinely curious. It looks like the EZ system can handle most any thickness under that bridge without having to adjust anything, but I can't tell that from the video. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Also, what's up with breaking all that plastic? It might be better to show usable pieces coming off the saw :eek:

Pete

Jim Becker
02-27-2007, 4:29 PM
Pete, the plastic in the third video was already cut into strips and taped back together...think about making pen blanks en masse using the technique that Dino is demonstrating. The cuts in video three are to cut all those strips to short lengths...looks like about 6 inches. The value proposition of this setup, at least to my eyes, is the repeatablity when doing operations like those illustrated over and over.

Peter Pedisich
02-27-2007, 4:33 PM
Pete,

A great feature of "The Bridge" is that it self-adjusts for the material thickness and you do not have to remove the saw from the rail, both very nice features.

Pete

Pete Brown
02-27-2007, 5:26 PM
Pete, the plastic in the third video was already cut into strips and taped back together...think about making pen blanks en masse using the technique that Dino is demonstrating. The cuts in video three are to cut all those strips to short lengths...looks like about 6 inches. The value proposition of this setup, at least to my eyes, is the repeatablity when doing operations like those illustrated over and over.

*dope slap* D'oh! It didn't occur to me that that was what was going on.

Thanks for setting me straight :)

Pete

Bruce Benjamin
02-27-2007, 6:52 PM
I'm not certain but Dino uses pieces of plastic about that size as components of some of the EZ tools. Things like stop blocks and pieces for the SRK router attachment. That plastic isn't cheap so I'd guess he's going to use it in some way.

I won't take the bait about the comparisons to anything F-Tool. I'm not saying you were necessarily trying to bait any of the EZ fans but comparing F-Tool to EZ on this or just about any other forum is just a waste of time. The EZ guys will state their views, (in detail) and a few of the F-Tool guys, (or just the anti-EZ guys) will deny everything and say theirs is the best and throw in some insults about Dino. If you really want to compare without a war starting then visit the EZ forum. Lots of open and honest opinions there without anyone looking for a fight.

I think anyone who looks at both brands with an open mind and some imagination will be able to come up with their own opinions. If you're trying to compare the EZ to a TS, well, all I can say has been said over an over again. The key word is safety though. Come visit the Ez forum in the manufacturers section of SMC.

Bruce

Very nice.

My original question on the post some time ago still stands. Besides price (assuming that is an advantage) what, if anything, does this have over the Festool MFT + TS Saw setup?

That's not a dig or anything, I'm still genuinely curious. It looks like the EZ system can handle most any thickness under that bridge without having to adjust anything, but I can't tell that from the video. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Also, what's up with breaking all that plastic? It might be better to show usable pieces coming off the saw :eek:

Pete

Dino Makropoulos
02-27-2007, 7:14 PM
Possibly I am impressed by the bridge because I just spent several days cross cutting Corian sheets then cutting hundreds of 4" strips for custom base molding. The new bridge system would have made the task a whole lot easier.

Thanks Keith.
One good feature is that 1/2 of the Bribge can be taken off the special table and you can use it (top mounted) on any material support system. Plywood, 2xs, sawhorses etc.

Thanks for supporting new ideas.

Dino Makropoulos
02-27-2007, 7:22 PM
Very interesting and innovative...Dino, ya done good!

That said, while I understand the point of the, umm...coffee drinking...while cutting in video two, I hope too many young woodworkers don't get the idea that it is a safe practice in the shop. ;)

Thanks Jim.
Using the worm drive saw my left hand was out of use.
In the pocket, holding the cup... it was cold that day.
No more coffe while cutting.:o
Thanks again.

Keith Outten
02-27-2007, 8:10 PM
This thread isn't about any other tool but the Bridge so there won't be any disagreement that concerns any other company. Dino is a woodworker just as the rest of us are, bare that in mind.

Help me out folks and keep your posts on topic, I really like this new accessory from EZ and feel it has serious merit in many shops...mostly mine :)

I have watched the videos many times and can't see a down side to the Bridge and I have hundreds of sheets of Corian to cut in my near future. I hadn't thought about the point Jim Becker brought up, I should have noticed the tape being installed and put two and two together. I missed it but I'm glad you pointed it out Jim.

Dino Makropoulos
02-27-2007, 8:13 PM
Very nice.

Hi Peter.
With The Bridge on your MFT you don't have to rely on your tablesaw for the dangerous cuts.

(think narrow pieces-strips)
1. The Bridge is the clamping system...without clamping.
The entire Bridge is the clamp.

(think accuracy)
2. Secured calibrated position (double ) to set the measuring system-stops-squares etc. With a non moving Bridge and non moving materials, the accuracy is similar or even better some times to the most expensive industrial machinery.

3. No lifting and tilting of the saw.
Your antichip and cutting line remains the same in all cuts while the saw rides on the rails very safe (no tilting) and more stable= better cuts than before.
(the bridge tilts to 65 degrees and rotates 360)
Not as fast as a SMCS ..YET... but safer and with unlimited capacity.
It can be set 12" above the table for grooving of large materials and cutting beams with a 16" circular saw.

The Bridge is a new tool concept and all the features and benefits are waiting to be discovered. If you are still genuinely curious you can visit the ez underground forum and find more answers.

Pete

Imagine cutting $300.00 UHMW panels in few minutes?:eek:
The pieces on the video are parts for tools.
Next video is to cut parts for a cabinet job.
Good idea to show larger "woodworking" usable pieces.
Thanks Peter.

Pete Brown
02-27-2007, 8:16 PM
I'm not certain but Dino uses pieces of plastic about that size as components of some of the EZ tools. Things like stop blocks and pieces for the SRK router attachment. That plastic isn't cheap so I'd guess he's going to use it in some way.

That makes sense

I won't take the bait about the comparisons to anything F-Tool. I'm not saying you were necessarily trying to bait any of the EZ fans but comparing F-Tool to EZ on this or just about any other forum is just a waste of time. The EZ guys will state their views, (in detail) and a few of the F-Tool guys, (or just the anti-EZ guys) will deny everything and say theirs is the best and throw in some insults about Dino. If you really want to compare without a war starting then visit the EZ forum. Lots of open and honest opinions there without anyone looking for a fight.

I absolutely wasn't baiting or trolling here. I figured I'd get a more honest assessment outside of the manufacturer forum (I don't know Dino, this is just a general observation I have about tool reviews), especially since the post was made outside of the manufacturer forum. I've seen lots of tools debated here without significant bias. I'm not sure why this would be any different, unless there is some history I'm unaware of. From your comments, it sounds like it may be religious, in which case I know I won't get anywhere from either side. Too bad.

I think anyone who looks at both brands with an open mind and some imagination will be able to come up with their own opinions. If you're trying to compare the EZ to a TS, well, all I can say has been said over an over again. The key word is safety though. Come visit the Ez forum in the manufacturers section of SMC.

If by TS you mean table saw, I definitely agree. If by TS you mean TS-55/75 circular saw, I'm not sure I see the difference, hence my questions.

Unfortunately, this is the only forum I have time to keep up with. I appreciate the advice, though.

Pete

John Stevens
02-27-2007, 8:39 PM
Dino, that looks like an outstanding cutting system. Does the clamping mechanism rely only on gravity, or does it exert additional force?

Regards,

John

Eric Wong
02-27-2007, 9:02 PM
Very cool product! Looks like more a production tool, but I do enjoy seeing these type of tools.

Dino Makropoulos
02-27-2007, 9:06 PM
Dino, that looks like an outstanding cutting system. Does the clamping mechanism rely only on gravity, or does it exert additional force?

Regards,

John

Regards,

John
Hi John.
We have the weight of the rail,
the weight of the saw,
the weight - force of our hand ,
the flexible antichip edges,
the non skid tape. ( now we can use it with no problems)
When you first set the Bridge you can apply down pressure on the guide rail.
As we lower the bridge to cutting mode, the Bridge retains the same pressure. I use springs for additional clamping but I don't see any difference.
Another option is to use air and hydraulics.
At the end we may go with two simple cam levers for auto lifting and clamping.
When the saw hits a stop (like the limit stop) after the cut is made, the bridge lifts without pushing the rail. Same when we return the saw back. The saw hits the stop -lever and the bridge goes back down.
Steven.
I can't wait to the the Bridge after Steven's crossing.
I admire your "out of the box" ideas.
Thanks again.

Dino Makropoulos
02-27-2007, 9:11 PM
Very cool product! Looks like more a production tool, but I do enjoy seeing these type of tools.

Eric.
Take a look at this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBGzoQGfUNg&mode=related&search= :cool:

Burt Waddell
02-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Jim,

I run a small cabinet shop and have had a similiar system in use for a while. Instead of pen blanks, let's think of strips to make raised panels (I use only 2 1/2" strips.) You can imagine how much fun I use to have cutting 75 of a size. Enter the bridge - now I cut 12 at a time. I've seen 72 pieces laying on the table at a time.

Think styles for raised panel doors - typical kitchen about 30 doors- that is 60 pieces spread through about 4 basic sizes but the majority being two sizes. Here comes the gang cutting again.

Then on to plywood - sheet of plywood goes on the table - cabinet parts come off.

As you said repeatability is great but when that is coupled with accuracy a good thing gets even better.

Burt

John Stevens
02-28-2007, 9:11 AM
I can't wait to the the Bridge after Steven's crossing.
I admire your "out of the box" ideas.
Thanks again.

Dino, this probably doesn't surprise you, but I've been thinking about a system similar to the one you've made. The difference between us is that I stopped at the thinking stage--you went to the making stage. Bravo.

You may already have thought of these ideas, but if not, here they are for your consideration:

1. You have a fence on the edge of the table perpendicular to the cut so that the work pieces can be quickly registered at 90 degrees?

2. Incorporate a high-quality miter gauge (like the ones made by Jess-em, Kreg or Incra) into the fence so you can quickly cut at angles other than 90 degrees. I'm thinking that the miter gauge would be detached from the piece that goes into the miter slot, and be bolted directly to the work table.

3. Incorporate a scale into the fence (like Kreg and Incra) so you can quickly set the dimension of the cut.

Hope this is useful to you.

Regards,

John

Dino Makropoulos
02-28-2007, 7:12 PM
Dino, this probably doesn't surprise you, but I've been thinking about a system similar to the one you've made. The difference between us is that I stopped at the thinking stage--you went to the making stage. Bravo.

John.
After I saw your router jig, I know that you can invent better tools.:cool:

You may already have thought of these ideas, but if not, here they are for your consideration:

1. You have a fence on the edge of the table perpendicular to the cut so that the work pieces can be quickly registered at 90 degrees?

The whole table offers dual purpose (Parralel /Perpendicular) flip stops that can be digital or a normal t-track with tape measure and calibrating arms similar to repeaters.

2. Incorporate a high-quality miter gauge (like the ones made by Jess-em, Kreg or Incra) into the fence so you can quickly cut at angles other than 90 degrees. I'm thinking that the miter gauge would be detached from the piece that goes into the miter slot, and be bolted directly to the work table.

Yes. A table mounted miter gauge is more versatile and even more accurate now that we have a steady bridge. The good thing is that the miter system can be calibrated to the bridge in 5 sec. in addition the entire bridge tilts 65 degree and rotates 360.

3. Incorporate a scale into the fence (like Kreg and Incra) so you can quickly set the dimension of the cut.
No problemo.

Hope this is useful to you.

Regards,

John

Very useful and I hope you continue to bring your ideas to the table.:cool:

Thanks John.
Get ready for the B-Bridge routing center.:D

Tom McCann
03-04-2007, 9:36 AM
Dino,

Major koodoo's to you and your team. Looking forward to video's and ordering one of these for my arsenal. If you ever need someone to beta test just let me know

Dino Makropoulos
03-04-2007, 2:09 PM
Dino,

Major koodoo's to you and your team. Looking forward to video's and ordering one of these for my arsenal. If you ever need someone to beta test just let me know

Thanks Tom.

Take a look at the ez/quiz :cool:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53273

Dino Makropoulos
03-04-2007, 7:02 PM

Regards,

John

John.
One answer to your question/thought. :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZScA15bl-A

Tom McCann
03-04-2007, 8:11 PM
Dino,

Awesome. ship it now:)

Dino Makropoulos
03-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Tom.
April 10th.
Thanks again for your support.

PeterTorresani
03-05-2007, 1:28 PM
If clamp pressure is not currently a problem this may not be of any benefit, but I think that if you change the pivot so it lifts up and back instead of up and forward you can improve clamping. Doing this should result in extra clamp force as you push the saw forward.

Dino Makropoulos
03-05-2007, 5:38 PM
If clamp pressure is not currently a problem this may not be of any benefit, but I think that if you change the pivot so it lifts up and back instead of up and forward you can improve clamping. Doing this should result in extra clamp force as you push the saw forward.

Peter.
Very good idea for the extra clamping force.
We can cut the other way if needed.

One problem is the handle/ clamp and the limit/return stop.
As the saw comes back we want the Bridge to go down.

The square is better on the near end where the bridge holds
the wood against the square.

For extra clamping force (if needed) your idea works better.:cool:
Thanks.

joseph j shields
03-05-2007, 8:08 PM
Peter makes a good point...Plus...

I don't have a bridge (yet :D ) so I'm just guessing... but, if you add a fence perpendicular to guide, wouldn't the backward action help assure the work piece is tight against the fence???

-jj

John Stevens
03-05-2007, 8:26 PM
One answer to your question/thought. :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZScA15bl-A

Nice work! Thanks.

Dino Makropoulos
03-05-2007, 8:52 PM
Peter makes a good point...Plus...

I don't have a bridge (yet :D ) so I'm just guessing... but, if you add a fence perpendicular to guide, wouldn't the backward action help assure the work piece is tight against the fence???

-jj

Joseph.
The Squaring fence goes to the near end. Perpendicular to the guide.
The backward action (lowering) helps for keeping the wood against the fence.
If we go Peter's way we must install the fence on the far end.
I think we can install 2 fences, cut with any saw or hand (left right)
from any side and lower the bridge against the fence.
The good news is that we can make 48" cross cuts without
a visit to the chiropractor. :rolleyes:
Just don't tell your frinds that you're buying a Bridge.:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Dino Makropoulos
03-24-2007, 9:18 PM

Hi Jim.
Look's like we need more videos to explain the
value proposition of this Invention.

A new video making edges.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRlrs438-kc

Making strips and long tapered cuts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPgdY9IDVoM

And if you like to learn more about the Bridge:
16 videos.
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=eurekazone

Enjoy.:cool:

Dino Makropoulos
04-01-2007, 11:17 AM
?
Wrong forum. I move my post to the ez forum ..for now.
Sorry.