PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw setup - getting the top level

Frank Castleberry
02-27-2007, 3:17 PM
I recently got a great buy on a factory remanufactured Unisaw.:) I just got around to setting it up and while I'm not a perfectionist I can't seem to get the table and the extension wings perfectly level. There seems to be a few thousands rise in the middle of each extension on the inside edge from front to back and the outside edges are a few thousands higher than the inside edge when tightened.

Any guidance on making adjustments and how to shim is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan Forman
02-27-2007, 3:44 PM
Sounds like it's not just a level problem, but a flat problem as well. It's a sad state of affairs, but you won't find a dead flat top from most manufactureres anymore. My Unisaw isn't flat either, I ended up just trying to even things out the best I could. To level, you can place shims between the table and extension wings, at the top of the joint, which will bring the outside edge of the wings down. Try a piece of aluminum from a soda can for starters, unless you already have a selection of shim stock of known thickness. If the soda can over corrects, find a machine shop which has a shim stock assortment. It will come in handy over time.

Dan

Lee Schierer
02-27-2007, 3:50 PM
To lower the outside edge of the table extensions, place a shim above the screw that attaches them to the table. You can use strips of aluminum from a soda can about 2" long, which can be cut with scissors. Shim bleow the screw to raise the outside edge of the extension. If one part of the extension is high and another part is low, you can alternate the shims to "twist" the extension slightly. Note shims should not extend past the top of the screw hole when placed above the screw. For shims below, they should not come above the bottom edge of the screw hole.

Make sure you file the shim level to the top of the table so you don't slice your hand or pieces of wood that are slid over that area.

glenn bradley
02-27-2007, 4:08 PM
I've said this before so not to sound like a broken record; cast iron is amazingly flexible. I use the metal foil tape that is used for HVAC and cut strips for shims. Lee's recommendation is good as well but the tape stays put while you fiddle about and is a little thinner.

Frank Castleberry
02-27-2007, 8:02 PM
Thanks to all for the quick responses. With this I think I'll be able to get it as close to flat and level as it can be. Again, I'm not a perfectionist but I'm old enough to remember when things were made in the USA and if not perfect were too close to measure.

Thanks for the help.

jim gossage
02-27-2007, 8:19 PM
one of the best purchases i ever made was a package of brass shim stock from use-enco.com. it comes in 15 thicknesses, 0.001-0.031", 6x12" sheets, for about $40 (about $25 in steel). i have used this material on almost all my shop tools at one time or another. its also great to fine tune adjustable jigs.

Brian Kent
02-27-2007, 8:55 PM
I use feeler gauges for shims - 32 for $4.95

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9616