PDA

View Full Version : Reliant Shaper (first post)

Pat Pounds
02-27-2007, 3:00 PM
Hello Everyone.
Allow me first to say that this is one of the best forums around. I'm a long time lurker and have learned a ton of stuff here.
Anyway I finaly got up the nerve to post so here it is.
Does anyone know about Reliant tools? A web search doesn't turn up much at all. I think they were Trend-Line's house brand and are now out of business. Anyway I have a chance to buy a used 3hp Heavy Duty Reliant shaper. Though it was purchased new about ten years ago, It hasn't been
used much. It comes with extra spindles plus a router bit spindle. Also comes with a 5 piece Carb-Tech raised panel door set, a few other cutters,
a Delta coping sled, and some feather boards. It's been hanging around for a while but should clean up nicely.The owner wants $600 for everything.
Does this sound like a deal or something to stay away from?
I know the guy didn't abuse it I'm just not sure about Reliant or Carb-Tech.
Anyway, thanks for your time.
Patrick

Pete Bradley
02-27-2007, 6:42 PM
I believe it's a brand found on Taiwanese machines of a decad or two ago.

$600 sounds like a chunk of money to me unless it's a Delta HD clone or better, ready to work, and the cutters are good. Your mileage may vary.

Pete

Jim Becker
02-27-2007, 6:59 PM
Reliant was the house brand for the deceased Woodworker's Warehouse retail chain. The good news is that the machines are likely parts-compatible with many of the other similar products out there. $600 for a 3hp unit isn't a bad price if you have all the pieces and it's in good, serviceable condition. The fact that you have the extra spindles available in the package is a plus.

Per Swenson
02-27-2007, 7:08 PM
Pat,

Welcome.

Here is the way I see it.

Nice starter shaper.

Take it, work with it. learn on it.

Sell it for the same amount of dollars

when you want to upgrade.

Per

Howie French
02-27-2007, 7:37 PM
I purchased a Reliant 6" Jointer from Trend-Lines (they sold a complete line of Reliant tools) about 14 years ago. I still have it , and have never had an issue.

Good Luck with your decision.

Howie

Jim Becker
02-27-2007, 8:25 PM
Howie, thanks for the reminder...Trend-Lines was the parent to Woodworker's Warehouse and that was the reason those stores also carried the Reliant line. Also, about the time that the Reliant name was expiring...Rikon was coming into being...something is in the back of my mind about that, but I just can't remember if it's real or not. CRS is a terrible disease...

Steve Kohn
02-27-2007, 9:29 PM
I have a Reliant DD34 Shaper. If I remember correctly this is a 1.5 hp shaper. I don't recall a 3hp. What is the model number of the one you are considering buying.

Curt Harms
02-28-2007, 7:40 AM
Howie, thanks for the reminder...Trend-Lines was the parent to Woodworker's Warehouse and that was the reason those stores also carried the Reliant line. Also, about the time that the Reliant name was expiring...Rikon was coming into being...something is in the back of my mind about that, but I just can't remember if it's real or not. CRS is a terrible disease...

Both companies were/are headquartered north of Boston-- Revere(Trendlines) Woburn(Rikon). Related cast of characters?

I think one of the reasons Woodworkers Warehouse failed is that they had too many stores in a given area catering to a somewhat limited market. The demand for specialty woodworking materials is not that great and if someone is competing with HD & Lowes selling mass market tools like drills and routers, good luck.

Related observation- I wonder if the drug store chains such as Eckerd & CVS are aware of this lesson. There are places in Central Bucks County where there's a chain drug store every mile. Granted there are more people buying prescription drugs than band clamps but still.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-28-2007, 8:03 AM
I'm probably steering this post further off course.

WoodWorkers Warehouse stores were plentiful in my area of northern New Jersey. About 3 or 4 years ago, they all closed soon after the store's creditors took them over. As stated above, they sold the Reliant brand which was not the upper end of Asian import machines as we see today. Reliant would probably be comparable to Harbor Freight's Central Machinery brand as value oreinted equipment. That being said, I have an old Reliant dust collector that still works well today.

At one point in time when Trend-Lines and WoodWorkers Warehouse co-existed, I use to receive one of their catalogs once a month. Each catalog revision only changed the front cover picture and nothing else. What an unecessary expense. Then the Trend-Lines catalog went away and was replaced with a WoodWorkers Warehouse sales flyer similar to Rockler and WoodCraft. Often, the sale items were very competitive to mail order prices.

Unfortunately, WoodCraft and Rockler have not filled the void left by the defunct WoodWorkers Warehouse stores. Although they sold some of the portable power tools that are also available at Home Depot or Lowes, they still offered much more to the home woodworker and contractor. I always enjoyed visiting one of their stores. I cannot say that about the big boxes anymore.

-Jeff :)

Tom Jones III
02-28-2007, 8:43 AM
To give you something to compare with, I am wonderfully happy with my Steel City shaper that I bought for $1100. It came with 2 spindles, router bit spindle, and a very nice miter gauge. I don't know anything about the cutters you are being offered but if they are in good shape they could be very valuable. Be sure and look closely at the fence before you purchase, in fact, if at all possible go look at the fences on a couple of new shapers so that you have something to compare it to.

Tim Lynch
02-28-2007, 9:54 AM
I have the same shaper; bought it used from a cabinet shop as well. I just recently bought the Delta micro-precision fence for it (43-812X I think?). This ended all my woes w/ the shaper, since the Reliant fence was miserable. I spent way too much time aligning things and shimming for parallel. The setup time was a killer.

I think the rest of it is fine -- large table, decent motor (3 HP/230V/1PH), a bunch of spindles that aren't too hard to change. I'm not sure what else you need. Mine came with the Delta stock feeder, and I love that thing. I believe it makes the machine a lot safer to operate.

The Delta fence is about $350 though, so you'd be up to $950. I was able to sell the Reliant fence on eBay for $100 (believe it or not) though.

You're lucky to be getting a good coping sled because the reliant miter gauge is useless, so figure that into your economics.

I wouldn't be afraid of the machine, but maybe work the seller over on the price a little ... ;)

Pat Pounds
02-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Here are some specs I got off of the shaper:

Reliant Heavy Duty spindle shaper

Model EE 30
MFG Date 1996
3hp 220v single phase
2 speed and forward/reverse

Table is 30" x 28" cast iron with heavy guage sheet steel cabinet base.
The fence is a split type. Nothing remarkable. Realy simple in fact, but
it is a fairly robust chunk o' cast iron.
Over all it apears to be a pretty well built machine and from what I know
about shapers, They're simple machines without a alot of moving parts
to break down.
Anyway I'll take closer look at the cutters before I decide.

Thanks to all
Patrick

Tony Perrone
01-09-2010, 3:09 PM
I just bought a reliant dd34 shaper for $50. off craigs list and it doesn't run. The shaper is set up for 220 but I know it can be switched to 110 but the guy didn't have a manual for it and the side covers are missing. Does anyone have a manual they can scan in or know where I can get one. I figure at this price if I can't get it running I would just buy a new motor.
Thanks in advance,
Tony

Jeffrey Makiel
01-09-2010, 7:37 PM
Tony...if you are looking to rewire to 110V, open the motor's wiring box and check if for a wiring diagram. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a diagram.

If the motor is shot, take some careful dimensions of the motor:

TEFC or open dripproof;
Overall diameter and length;
Amperage and voltage rating;
Capacitor-- start and/or run
Shaft diameter, and;
Mounting plate configuration.
Then, check it against NEMA charts to see if it conforms to standard motors in their amp range. If the shaft is metric, you may need to buy a new sheave which may be a problem if it is uniquely stepped. Also, if you're in need of a new motor, and your shaper has a reversing switch, you must also buy a motor that has reversing capability.

I believe McMaster Carr and Grainger have NEMA charts on their website. Or, perhaps Google it.

Good luck,
-Jeff :)

Don Jarvie
01-10-2010, 3:33 PM
The wiring diagrams for Relient motors are either on the badge or when you remove the cover of the wire housing.

Check to see if you can find the similar shaper from Harbor Freight or Grizzly. I have the Releint Jointer and 14 inch Bandsaw and they are the same as the HF. You can download the manual from HF.

If you have no luck post a picture of the motor and I can try to match it up with what I have. I also have the dust collector and they are all 1hp motors.

Don

Tony Perrone
01-10-2010, 8:36 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I looked on the cover on the motor where the plug wire comes in and it wasn't there I think it might be on the the cover that bolts to the side. The guy I bought it from said he might still have them under his saw and would look for me. I will also look at the harbor frieght shaper tomorrow I pass one on my way to work. Thanks again. The motor is a 1 1/2 horse induction motor reversable.

Don Jarvie
01-11-2010, 2:16 PM
Could the cover be removed so you could access the wiring? It has 1 screw and a sticker indicating 110 or 220 depending on how it was wired at the factory.

If you do it is under the cap so you need to remove it and the diagram is under the cover.

I'll try to look tonight at a few Relient motors to see if I can get any info.

Tony Perrone
01-11-2010, 5:49 PM
The cover has a 220 on a sticker over it, thats what I expected when I removed the cover (just like my craftsman table saw) but there was nothing under it. I think it had to be on the side covers that were removed. The only numbers I could find on the motor were.

HP 1 1/2 KW 1.1
volt 110/220 Pole 2
HZ 60 Rpm 3450
Amp 18/9 heat 60
Phase 1 Date 1999
class A ser. no HS0417

On the front it says manufactured 1997-1999

I also wanted to know if anyone knows where I could get a new switch for the front and what kind people recomend.
thanks again

Rob Carlson
01-11-2010, 7:04 PM
Hi Pat,

One thing you may want to consider is the spindle bearing cartridge.IF their is a problem it may not be readily available for replacement.I.M.H.O
i think you could do better.
Good luck,
Rob

Don Jarvie
01-11-2010, 7:42 PM
Here's what I dug up. If you have 4 wires in the housing.

Open up and wire it this way.

1 and 3 to 1 line
2 and 4 to the other line

It doesn't matter which line you put each wire on since they are both hot.

I ordered parts for my jointer through Grizzly but they are backordered.

If you have more than 4 wires a few pictures may be helpful.

Good luck