PDA

View Full Version : Southeast Virginia Wood Source??

Darroll Walsh
02-27-2007, 1:38 PM
Does anyone have a good source for Hardwood and plywood in Southeast Virginia? I know of Yukon Lumber and Norfolk Plywood & Plastic. Both places seem a little high on price. I've looked online and get wood shipped for about the same price as a local pickup. Is this normal for everyone else as well? Thanks for any help.

- D

Jody Malinich
02-27-2007, 2:02 PM
Daroll,

Might want to try Steve Wall Lumber. The are right across the border in Mayodan, NC. I've ordered cherry, oak, hard maple from them and all has been top quality.

Darroll Walsh
02-27-2007, 2:10 PM
Jody, Have any contact info? I am looking for alder at the moment, any idea if they carry any? Thank you!

Kevin Murdock
02-27-2007, 2:12 PM
Jody, Have any contact info? I am looking for alder at the moment, any idea if they carry any? Thank you!

Here is the website:

http://walllumber.com/

Thought it's south (of) Virginia, it's not really in the eastern side.

Hope this helps,
/Kevin

Darroll Walsh
02-27-2007, 2:20 PM
Just looked them up, they are a little far for me to drive to. Great prices though. If I ever move out to the Roanoak area I will remember to use them.

Mike Watts
02-27-2007, 3:13 PM
If you are near Yorktown I recommend Earth Resources,409 Railway Rd, Yorktown, VA, 757-898-0045. It is a small one person operation but has Red Oak, White Oak, Mahogany, Sapelle, Cherry, Poplar and some more that I cannot think of right now. I have bought Sapelle, Red and White Oak and Poplar from them recently. The BF prices are better than Woodcraft but I am not sure about versus Yukon. I have no affiliation with them but just am a satisfied customer.

Does anyone have a good source for Hardwood and plywood in Southeast Virginia? I know of Yukon Lumber and Norfolk Plywood & Plastic. Both places seem a little high on price. I've looked online and get wood shipped for about the same price as a local pickup. Is this normal for everyone else as well? Thanks for any help.

- D

Darroll Walsh
02-27-2007, 3:22 PM
I'm right off Ft. Eustis Blvd. I'll give him a call.

M Toupin
02-27-2007, 8:02 PM
Darrell,

Here's the places I use. It is definitely worth calling around on prices, there is a wide discrepancy with some places cheaper on one thing while higher on others. example, waterfront 4/8 hard maple $4.90bf, Yukon $6.00bf. On the other hand Waterfront 4/4 red oak $3.90bf, Yukon $2.95bf. Bottom line, call around first, you can save a good bit. Of course you got to figure the cost of gas and aggravation if you decide to fight the tunnels:(

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Waterfront Lumber
Newport News
245-0091

I primarily use Waterfront for domestic solid stock, exotics are not on the menu. Ply is also not one of their Strong points. Prices are a bit high sometimes, but it's convenient when you need something now or a small quantity.

Yukon Lumber
625-7131
520 W. 22nd Street
Norfolk, Virginia 23517
http://www.yukonlumber.com/

Cost is often a bit better than Waterfront and they carry some of the exotics, compare prices first though. Ply is flat out crap.

Plywood & Plastics Inc
3307 Chesapeake Blvd
Norfolk, VA 23513
855-3908

Excellent quality ply. A few dollars more than Yukon, but the quality is MUCH better. Staff is also vary helpful. This is the only place I buy quality ply from, their A1 is awesome!

Northland Forrest Products
(434) 589-8213
220 Zion Park Road
Troy, VA 22974
http://www.northlandforest.com/troy.shtml

Northland is a bit of a drive, but the quality and prices are the best I've found. This is the real old time lumber yard and the staff is great! If I'm looking for a quantity buy, this is the place I go. They often have specials on shorts (generally 6') which are exceptional buys. Last time I went they had a special on white oak shorts, $.1.70bf.

There's also Woodcraft in Norfolk, but the prices are outragous... if you need it now though, sometimes it's the only option.

Mike

Jake Helmboldt
02-27-2007, 8:08 PM
Darroll, I'd be curious to know how their prices (in Yorktown) compare to Yukon. Yukon had some nice wood, but limited supply and high prices.

Northland flat out knocks everyone elses socks off, but it is a drive.

Darroll Walsh
02-27-2007, 8:50 PM
WOW thank you. That was exactly what I was looking for.