PDA

View Full Version : wood sources around Dubuque

Carol Reed
02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Last fall I had a conversation with a gentleman just across the river. He had a Leigh DT jig he was selling. I looked but it was spoken for. We chatted for some time and he shared with me some great places to buy lumber. Said the buyer for his jig lived in Minnesota and planned to load up lumber to take back, deal was so good.

Long tale short, I am sorry to have misplaced his contact information. So hopefully he will read this, or someone else who knows will spill the beans!

Thanks guys, time to plan to go back home, and take some of this luscious stuff with me! Looking for 4/4 shorts in cherry and walnut. Can't haul long stuff. Planning on building G&G furniture for my little house in the mountains of Arizona.

Ron Blaise
02-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi Carol Reed:
I checked Woodfinder.com for Dubuque and several are listed, however none closer than 50 miles. Must have been someone not listed with them. hope you find him.

Carol Reed
02-27-2007, 1:01 PM
Thanks, Ron.

I had checked Woodfinder as well. This supplier could also have been just over the river in either Wisconsin or Illinois. All I really remember was that it was close by and great pricing.

I hate when the mind goes........... :confused:

Doug Hoffman
02-27-2007, 2:06 PM
Hi Carol, If you come up with some good contacts,I would be interested in them also. I live in P'ville. I will let you know if I find some.

Scott Loven
02-27-2007, 2:21 PM
This is where I get my wood from. They are in Iowa just south of Rochester MN.
http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/generic1.html
Here is another place for turners
Johnson Wood Products
Route 1, Strawberry Point, IA 52076. TEL: 319-933-4930. Spalted Woods, Turning Blocks.
Scott

John C. Wilson
02-27-2007, 4:12 PM
I am 45 west of Dubuque,IA and there is ALOT of excellent sawmills ar
ound here to get lumber from.
1-Nelson Hardwoods in Prairie du Chien ,WI PH.608-326-8456(Kent)
2-Kendricks in Edgewood, IA Ph 563-928-6431 (Jayne or Rhonda)
3-Wielands in Winthrop,IA Ph319-935-3946 (Delbert or Rick)
I get lumber from all 3 places.....excellent quality and very good prices. They are very up to date mills that saw their own lumber and have their own dryers.....you name it and I'm sure that they will have it. I also know Randy at Johnson's in Strawberry Point and he is great on the thicker lumber........... Hope this helps and good luck..........John

James w Fagan
02-27-2007, 4:56 PM
I have been buying at Twin Oaks. It is only about 10 miles from dubuque. Twine Oaks Phone 608 748 4803 2345 Sinsinawa Road Hazel Green WI 53811

Carol Reed
02-27-2007, 6:40 PM
Hey, John,

I have a good friend from Manchester. Ever show off your shop? I get out there from time to time.

Creeker visit? :rolleyes:

Dan Racette
02-27-2007, 7:06 PM
There is a place in Madison, Workbench Tool, that recently advertised a large amount walnut they had on sale. I have also seen a couple of other sources that have walnut at a good price, less than $3/bf, if a Log Run was purchased.

Dan

John C. Wilson
02-27-2007, 7:48 PM
Heck yes! Next time you get to our"big" city, give me a call. I like to visit others shops and always get a bunch of other woodworkers that come....mostly as customers, but with one thing in common we all like to butcher boards! So by all means ,stop and visit. I'll be waiting.
John