PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Delta drum sander?

Lloyd McKinlay
02-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Just learned of a nearly new Delta model 31-250 18"-36" drum sander available for about half of retail. Does anybody have experience with this machine? Pros and cons? I work with a lot of 6'-8' stock and it seems a fixed head and moveable table would make sanding long pieces difficult. Not sure how one would set up infeed and outfeed tables.

Thoughts and opinions on this machine?

Paul Wingert
02-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I have had one for quite a while. It's a great machine. No complaints.

I ended up buying the infeed/outfeed tables from Delta for about $80.
You can sand long pieces without them (I've done over 8') if you slightly lift the board on the outfeed side to avoid snipe. The tables are money well spent though.

The pneumatic drum sander attachment is nice as well.

"Jason Belous"
02-27-2007, 2:56 PM
i've never had any problem with mine, plus you would be lucky to find a good used one for $500. if it's half price and you don't like it you could easily sell it. is it the x5 model?

Paul Wingert
02-27-2007, 3:35 PM
i've never had any problem with mine, plus you would be lucky to find a good used one for $500. if it's half price and you don't like it you could easily sell it. is it the x5 model?

FYI, I confirmed with a Delta Rep that all 18/36 the drum sander models are the same. The ones that don't say X5 were manufactured before they started marketing that brand name. The parts are all interchangable/identical.

Bruce Page
02-27-2007, 4:23 PM
Lloyd, I like mine just fine, no problems at all. As you are probably aware of, it is NOT a planer. A certain amount of patience is required to run this machine.
Ditto Paul’s comments on the infeed/outfeed tables. I waited a couple of years before buying them – I recommend buying them right away!

Guy Germaine
02-28-2007, 6:37 AM
One thing to consider is the thickness of the stock you will be working with. At the St. Louis WW show, I asked the Delta rep about the minimum thickness that the Delta machine would sand, and he said it would go to 1/8". (You could always make a sled) The Performax machines will sand down to 1/32". If you're making your own veneer, this may be something to consider.