PDA

View Full Version : Reworking a Piano??????

Dennis Peacock
02-27-2007, 9:52 AM
Well folks....since my grandmother passed away....I've been given her old Wurlitzer upright piano. She had that piano ever since I can remember. Anybody here have any experience in reworking/rebuilding an old piano???

The outside and wood are in fine shape....it's just the inside, hammers, felt pads, sticking keys, uneven keys and such as that. I'm almost sure it will need to be restrung.

Advice, pointers, hints, tips???? It's my grandmother's, so call me sentimental if you like. ;) :)

J D Thomas
02-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Dennis,

I had a tuning/repair business for many years and I can tell you a job like this goes much easier and more accurate if you have the proper tools to install parts, regulate, restring, tune, etc. Given that it's just the one piano, I would guess you're not willing to invest in all that. If it's a drop-action piano, i.e. a spinet, where the top of the piano is about 6-8" above the level of the keys, then trust me, you DON'T want to get involved with it. The final results will be underwhelming at best.

Google piano tuning repair supply parts, and see just what investment you may need. There is a lot of specificity when regulating the action, leveling the keys, voicing the hammers, replacing and adjusting dampers, and especially restringing, which is a huge job. You may also encounter problems with the tuning pin block where pins slip under the strain of holding the string in tune. If this is chronic, it's not worth anything, even sentiment, to try and repair this for an upright. Grands are a far different story.

You could be opening a can of worms for yourself.

Belinda Barfield
02-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Having owned several old pianos, one of which I purchased off of a gentleman's front porch, let me offer this bit of advice. Hire a professional. There is not much worse than a poorly tuned, poorly repaird piano, except a person who sings off key (that would be me!). IMHO it is not worth the frustration to do it yourself. However, if you have perfect pitch, plenty of patience, and time to spend - go for it. :)

Jim Becker
02-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Yup...not a job for someone not familiar with the work. Your friendly local piano technician has the tools and know-how to get it back in shape.

Mark Cothren
02-27-2007, 2:39 PM
Hey Dennis, a man from my church used to do this sort of thing for a living (but not any longer). He might know someone locally who can do it. If you want me to check with him just let me know.

Jim O'Dell
02-27-2007, 4:45 PM
Unfortuanately, everyone above is correct. My wife is a piano teacher and won't let me near her piano. :D (She tolerates me working on her computer, but isn't happy about that:rolleyes: ) Her current grand was purchased for a pretty decent price, guy that owned it played it about 9 hours a day, and virtually wore it out. It immediately went in to have the action rebuilt, new strings, seems like new tuning pins, or at least some were replaced. New hammers, yadda yadda. This was about 12 years ago, maybe longer, and, IIRC, the work was about 4500.00. She still likes the piano because the work was done by a top tech (does work for Van Cliburn here locally) and was done right. But it's not a DIY type project. Refinish the cabinet, yes.
Sorry, I know it wasn't what you wanted to hear. But you might start with a tuning after it settles in to your house for a few weeks (worse that acclimating wood before you work with it) then see what happens. Pianos are real finiky to humidity and temp swings. Stabilize the environment, if it wasn't before, and some of the problems may go away. A good tuner/tech can give you an evaluation. Jim.

Wayne Gauthier
02-28-2007, 6:09 AM
Dennis; I have a nephew-in-law that does nothing but rebuild pianos. He does everything but restring them, he does the keys, hammers and all the inside work except restring them. If you want I can get you his address and phone #.

He lives in Mass. His work is beyond reproach.

Dennis Peacock
02-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Dennis; I have a nephew-in-law that does nothing but rebuild pianos. He does everything but restring them, he does the keys, hammers and all the inside work except restring them. If you want I can get you his address and phone #.

He lives in Mass. His work is beyond reproach.

Wayne,

I don't think we will be taking on this challenge. Even though it was my grandmothers, I've already consulted with a couple of piano rebuilders and I just can't swing the $4-5K to fix up this piano.

BTW, My In-Laws live in Prattville. ;)

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Dennis, if the piano is just not usuable, how about turning it into another piece of furniture? One thing I've had in the back of my mind to do with an old upright, is to make a desk out of it. Before the advent of the flat panel screens, it would have had to have been an upright player grand for the depth. But now, you can make a computer desk out of an upright, make a usuable piece of furniture, and still have your grandmother's piano with you. Just a thought. Course it doesn't even have to be a computer desk, could just be a writing desk. Build shelves for supplies into the upper part, cut the front piece above the keyboard and hinge it for doors, probably accordian style would be best space wise. Jim.

Paul Downes
03-02-2007, 2:08 PM
Dennis, You might think about getting a digital sampler keyboard and inserting it into the old machine. That is if you are really attached to the antique. A litle chainsaw work and you should have a big enough hole.:eek:
I've owned a few pianos and wish I'd never sold the grand, which I bought new, too my sister. She played way better than me and finally 'jewed' me out of it. This was a Kawi and had incredible sound. It more than doubled in price the year after I bought it as it was new to the U.S. market then. I have an old upright grand that I have to fix on a regular basis. it is definantly an issue of diminishing returns. I'm pining away for a kurzwile (sp)...........some day..........