PDA

View Full Version : Antler Duck Calls (2nd try)

Royce Meritt
12-09-2003, 12:30 PM
I think I figured it out. (THANKS NOAH!!)
OK. Here they are (I hope.)

The first call is Elk antler with a moradillo stopper.
2nd is an antler call with wenge stopper
3rd is a matched set of duck and goose call in walnut with engraved and color filled duck and goose on the barrel.
4th is 2 sets (of 4 sets) in cocobola I made for our local Ducks Unlimited chapter.

Royce Meritt
12-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Well, at least I figured out how to get the pictures up. Sorry the quality is not too good on some. Obviously the pictures are TOO BIG!! I'll get better.

Royce

Noah Alkinburgh
12-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Royce,

They look really great!! I am really itching to do my antler pens. Just haven't worked up the nerve yet.

Glad you got them in...now you just need to resize...I guess I should have mentioned that before too. :rolleyes: Sorry. I usually size mine to 400 pixels in the biggest dimension. I use a freewear program calle Mihov Image Resizer at work. It fast and does a nice job. There is another one that guys on here have recomended but I can't think of it now. I was going to try it, but at work I don't have admin rights and can't install it. No need to use it at home where I have Photoshope Elements. Anyway...you can rezise these, edit your post (the greatest feature ever!!!) and actually replace those photos with smaller ones.

Noah

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
12-09-2003, 1:33 PM
I think I figured it out. (THANKS NOAH!!)
OK. Here they are (I hope.)

The first call is Elk antler with a moradillo stopper.
2nd is an antler call with wenge stopper
3rd is a matched set of duck and goose call in walnut with engraved and color filled duck and goose on the barrel.
4th is 2 sets (of 4 sets) in cocobola I made for our local Ducks Unlimited chapter.

I really like the looks of those calls. I'm going to have to get some kits and make some up. They'd make excellent presents for the hunters in my family. Glad you got the pictures to come up. After you've done it a couple of times, you'll be a pro. Thanks for sharing and keep the pictures coming!

Ron

Royce Meritt
12-09-2003, 2:23 PM
Well, I managed to get the pics resized (with your help, of course). However, I also managed to get them re-posted in the wrong order. Oh well, one small victory at a time I guess. Thanks again.

Julie Wright
12-09-2003, 2:39 PM
Those are really nice.
If I can find any deer around (Don't think there are to many Moose here) here I might just have to turn a few of those.
thanks 4 sharing

Bob Lasley
12-09-2003, 4:30 PM
Royce,

Outstanding calls. Very nice job indeed. I was an avid duck hunter in a previous life. Do different materials and designs change the tone of the sound much or is it mostly in the reed? I have owned calls made of several kinds of wood as well as plastic and hard rubber. They all sounded different but have never been sure as to why.

Bob

Royce Meritt
12-09-2003, 9:42 PM
Royce,

Outstanding calls. Very nice job indeed. I was an avid duck hunter in a previous life. Do different materials and designs change the tone of the sound much or is it mostly in the reed? I have owned calls made of several kinds of wood as well as plastic and hard rubber. They all sounded different but have never been sure as to why.

Bob

Bob-
In my experience different woods, etc. do have some effect on the sound of a call. However, in my opinion, almost any good, stable wood makes for a fine call. Since I hand tune and adjust every call I make I simply fuss with each one until it sounds like I want it to. Therefore, the reed (and the adjustment of the reed) has more to do with the sound than the material the call is made from.

Mike Cutler
12-10-2003, 12:37 PM
Royce. Like others I am a former duck hunter. I stopped in the late 80's due to the declining populations and droughts in the prarie pothole regions. If I am not mistaken I believe our own Ken Salisbury may be able to help you "figure" it out. Huntsville Alabama used to host the Duck Calling World Championships. All that aside tho' those really are nice Looking calls.

Don Farr
12-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Very nice Royce, Something else to put on my "I would like to do someday list" :D