PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to find a certain router bit

Jon Farley
02-27-2007, 8:16 AM
Does anyone know if any of the quality router bit manufacturers make a flush trim bit with a cutting length greater than two inches? I need to do some flush trim cutting on a surface that is exactly two inches thick, and I'd like to find a bit that can handle this and has just a little bit of extra length beyond the required two inches.

Mack Cameron
02-27-2007, 8:27 AM
Freud has a single flute straight bit #11-180 that has a cutter length of 2 1/2". Not sure if that's what you are looking for. Good Luck!

http://www.freudtools.com/woodworkers/rep/router_bits/Router_Bits/Straight/html/Straight_1.html

Rick Lizek
02-27-2007, 8:28 AM
ridgecarbidetool.com carries a 2-1/2" flush trim bit. #14-196

Jon Farley
02-27-2007, 9:00 AM
Thanks - just placed my order for the one at Ridge Carbide. The Freud was the right length but unfortunately is not a flush trim bit since it does not have a guide bearing. Thanks again guys.

pat warner
02-27-2007, 9:40 AM
There are some very long trimmer bits.
In my view, they are unsafe.
That much cutter extension wasting the whole edge in one shot is adversity in your face.
Safer but still not a good idea (unless you have the experience):
Use a long straight cutter and collar in a plunger and pare that waste away in stages.

Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)

Mark Singer
02-27-2007, 9:46 AM
I definetly agree with Pat on this... I run long trim bits some times on chair templates and it is dangerous! The idea of plunging is much better and safer

Mike Heidrick
02-27-2007, 9:56 AM
Does anyone know if any of the quality router bit manufacturers make a flush trim bit with a cutting length greater than two inches? I need to do some flush trim cutting on a surface that is exactly two inches thick, and I'd like to find a bit that can handle this and has just a little bit of extra length beyond the required two inches.

Lowes sells a Bosch bit. Not as nice as Freud but returnable if there are problems. Kind of like a lifetime warranty after you buy the replacement bit and get a new receipt.

Jody Malinich
02-27-2007, 10:19 AM
I agree with the spiral bit on a plunge router. The ship's wheels I make are a little over 2" thick and we trim them to size with a jig and spiral bit. Takes a little longer but the results are excellent. We used to use a pattern and pattern bit but were getting alot of chip out. I still think you could use a spiral with a bushing and pattern, you would just have to undersize the pattern to match the bushing gap.

Jody