PDA

View Full Version : Minimizing cyclone noise

Bryan Mueller
02-27-2007, 4:27 AM
I'm almost ready to use my new Clearvue (standard setup), but I really need to cut the noise first. I know the 100+dB without filters and ducting will drop into the 90's once those are added, but with neighbors only a few feet away and it being mounted on the other side of the wall not far from our main tv, I think I need to do as much as possible short of building a closet to cut it down. So, after reading as much as I could here, I have a few questions on what others have done and on the muffler designs on Bill Pentz's site.

Is mass loaded vinyl more useful than rubber mats for wrapping the blower, or not worth the money? Any idea what kind of attenuation can be achieved by wrapping the blower? I think 82dB is quoted on Bill P's site for the muffler and flex duct setup, but I don't think that mentioned a wrap on the blower. Similarly, is there any application of the mass loaded vinyl to a muffler design that would improve its performance, or is foam the more appropriate material?

Does the baffle technique that some use for the return air from their cyclone closets have any application to the blower/filter hookup without a closet? In other words, would a path with a 180 degree turn before the filters, perhaps with a muffler on each leg, help block more noise than a straight shot? I have the ability to run the blower outlet right into the attic, and either stick mufflers up there and return to the filters below, or enclose the filters in the attic and return the air back down if that would be worth the effort. Is the 2' muffler length pretty optimal, or could a different size help more?

Thanks for everyone's help. I have already learned alot here in a short time.

Bryan

Chuck Saunders
02-27-2007, 8:54 AM
Hi Bryan,
The noise is coming from the air in the impeller. Therefore to quiet the beast you must focus on the exhausting air. This is where the return air baffles come in. By baffleing the return air and enclosing the dust collector in a seperate room, you will provide the biggest reduction in sound transmission.
Chuck

Jamie Buxton
02-27-2007, 10:45 AM
In my shop, the cyclone is no louder than the machines generating the sawdust -- the saws, the jointer, the planer, etc. At least one of those machines is running when the cyclone is running, so quieting the the cyclone would not cut the total sound level much at all.

Dan Forman
02-27-2007, 4:26 PM
My 2hp gorilla is faily quiet once assembled, more so than the tools.

Dan

Al Killian
02-27-2007, 6:53 PM
If 90dB is to much noise I would consider adding something like foam boards to your shop walls. If your planer is a luch box one then it is well above that. Just my2cents.
Al

Eric Wong
02-27-2007, 11:10 PM
I was surprised how loud my ClearVue is, but I have to agree with Jamie....Most tablesaws (while cutting), planers, jointers, shop vacs, routers, and even a bandsaw with a bad bearing can make a lot more noise than the ClearVue.

My advice: buy a really good set of noise cancellation headphones. Not for hearing protection, but to cancel out the complaints of the neighbors.:D