PDA

View Full Version : I'm ashamed to even live near this guy..........

Mark Rios
02-27-2007, 2:32 AM
David Letterman just did his funny newspaper headlines bit on his show. One was from a city not too far from the city that I live in. Just one more reason why I will be leaving California............

In the Tracy CA. newspaper, as I suppose many do, they have a feature where they ask different flolks the same question and print their answers.

This particular recent question was: What was your favorite Valentines gitft? One man's answer was, "Well, I'd have to say that it was my wife coming home from prison. It really wasn't on Valentines day, but it was close enough".

AAAaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! I need to move.

donnie wood
02-27-2007, 2:49 AM
At lease it wasn't "when my wife left to go to prison";)

David G Baker
02-27-2007, 9:30 AM
David Letterman just did his funny newspaper headlines bit on his show. One was from a city not too far from the city that I live in. Just one more reason why I will be leaving California............

In the Tracy CA. newspaper, as I suppose many do, they have a feature where they ask different folks the same question and print their answers.

This particular recent question was: What was your favorite Valentines gitft? One man's answer was, "Well, I'd have to say that it was my wife coming home from prison. It really wasn't on Valentines day, but it was close enough".

Mark,
I left California for similar reasons. There is this saying "where ever you go, there you are". I have changed it a little, "where ever you go there they are". The population density in Mid Michigan where I now live is much less than California but the kooks and crazies are here too. Drugs and unemployment are the main problems in my opinion. The big cities are the same where ever you go. The rural areas leave the bad folks less people to pick from so maybe the chances of being targeted are even higher.
Antioch, the CA town that I left, was the Meth Lab capitol of CA for several years. There was at least 4 labs busted in the small housing track where I lived. The population when I moved there was around 30,000, at the time I left was around 60,000.
David B

Jerry Clark
02-27-2007, 10:23 AM
I saw a Bumper Sticker the other day, that said-- "My son is prisioner of the Month in Chino Prision". :eek:

Bill Grumbine
02-27-2007, 10:31 AM
The rural areas leave the bad folks less people to pick from so maybe the chances of being targeted are even higher.

David, you need to change your mindset! The proper way to word that sentence would be, "The bad folks are less likely to pick on people in rural areas because we are much more likely to shoot back when they try!"

Most of the very little trouble we have out here is from city people passing through from one city to another. That is not to say all city people are bad. Some of my best friends live in the city. ;) It is merely an observation.

Bill

Belinda Barfield
02-27-2007, 11:08 AM
David, you need to change your mindset! The proper way to word that sentence would be, "The bad folks are less likely to pick on people in rural areas because we are much more likely to shoot back when they try!"

Bill

Bill,

You got it right!! Grew up in a rural area where guns were commonplace. We all knew you didn't trespass, and you sure didn't enter anyone's home uninvited. Living in Savannah has been a big adjustment. We have lots of crime here, mostly "inner city". We actually have one of the highest per capita murder rates in the nation - or we did a couple of years back. Not sure we are in the running currently.

Short story. I knew an elderly man who passed away last year. He lived in an area downtown that was genteel when he purchased his house, and over the years went downhill and crime became rampant. He refused to move. Three years ago a man broke into the house. My friend shot the crook in the leg as a warning, and disabled him. Friend calls the police, and EMTs. Police haul crook away. One month later my friend receives the ambulance bill amounting to $75.00. A year later another crook breaks into my friend's house. Friend shoots crook, kills him, calls police, tells them not to bother to send ambulance this time since he doesn't have $75.00 to pay the bill. One less crook on the streets!!

Mark Rios
02-27-2007, 11:11 AM
I saw a Bumper Sticker the other day, that said-- "My son is prisioner of the Month in Chino Prision". :eek:

ROFLOL :D :D :D

Brett Baldwin
02-27-2007, 1:14 PM
One of the most memorable quotes I've read along these lines is, "An armed society is a polite society."

David G Baker
02-27-2007, 2:56 PM

Most of the very little trouble we have out here is from city people passing through from one city to another. That is not to say all city people are bad. Some of my best friends live in the city. ;) It is merely an observation.

Bill
Bill,
You are right about that, especially in Michigan. There are quite a few gun owners in Michigan a large percentage of the population are life long hunters. Lots of the local committed crimes are stupid crimes committed by stupid locals. They always seem to get caught. A problem we have is the Snow Birds going South for the Winter and when they return in the Spring their houses have been vandalized. Most of the time not much is stolen but everything is destroyed.
Northern Michigan does not have to much of a diverse racial mix, once in a while a couple of the Detroit city dwellers will come North thinking that we are ripe for picking. They do the crime but 90% of the time they get caught right away.
I think you are right on the mindset change. I spent too much time in California and lost most of the drive to hunt like all of my family had in my youth here in Michigan. The last guns I fired were an M-14 and a 50 caliber back in the mid 60's.
David B

Von Bickley
02-27-2007, 3:10 PM
One of the most memorable quotes I've read along these lines is, "An armed society is a polite society."

I try to do my part.....:D :D :D

Dan Gill
02-27-2007, 3:50 PM
Just a little perspective from The Point blog:

CNN's 360 aired a three-part story last week, putting a human face on prison statistics. The facts are not a surprise to those of us at Prison Fellowship.

2.2 million Americans behind bars (actually, it's 2.3 now)
More people in prison than in any other country
Recidivism rates hovering around 50%
Tremendous growth in the number of women incarcerated, 70% of whom are mothersThat's almost 1 percent of our population behind bars at any one time. So it would be statistically unusual if you didn't live close to somebody who had been in prison. Or was married to a prisoner.

We laugh about it, but put yourself in that guy's shoes: if your wife was returning home from prison, wouldn't it be a good day for you?

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-27-2007, 3:50 PM

It's possible her incercaration was the result of a failure of the justice system.

It happens and often enough.

Belinda Barfield
02-27-2007, 4:09 PM
. . .if your wife was returning home from prison, wouldn't it be a good day for you?

Depends on why she went to prison in the first place.

Could have been a failure in the justice system. IMHO there are many more failures in the justice system resulting in criminals not being incarcerated, than failures resulting in innocents being incarcerated. Going way out on a limb here -that is probably going to break . . . am I along in believing in the death penalty for violent crimes? Okay, don't throw all of the stones at once! I am just curious about whether any of you believe a serial killer, or serial rapist can be rehabilitated. If so, does rehab occur in prison? It sure seems there are a lot of repeat offenders on the streets.

Dan Gill
02-27-2007, 4:39 PM
Depends on why she went to prison in the first place.

Granted, if she went in for setting him on fire or trying to run over him with her car, it probably would be a bit of a tentative reunion. :) But by far the majority of incarcerations are for drug possession/abuse and check fraud, especially among women.

We're probably getting too political here, and we'll be asked to tone it down, and that's okay.

I have always supported the death penalty for heinous crimes. Lately, I'm not as committed to that position. It seems as if there are many injustices in our system, both innocent people who are convicted, and guilty ones who go free. I thnk our criminal justice system is one of the best in the world, but it still has many problems. I'm less willing to pull the plug on people than I used to be. Maybe we need something like "Guilty by an overwhelming preponderance of evidence". I don't know.

I also believe that people can and do change. It doesn't mean they shouldn't serve their sentences, but even John Wayne Gacy changed before he was murdered in prison. If there's hope for him, there's hope for anyone.