PDA

View Full Version : 2nd bowl model

Benjamin Dahl
02-26-2007, 11:24 PM
thanks to everyone for the feedback to my previous post. I took some of the suggestions and made another salad bowl model. this time the wood is red gum. it is another small piece, 5.5" wide at the top tapered down to 2.25" at the bottom and 2.5" tall. I will play around some more designs but think this is getting closer. again, critiques and suggestions are welcome.
-Ben

Brett Baldwin
02-26-2007, 11:41 PM
That looks like a solid utility bowl with a little style thrown in for good measure. I like that much better than the square sided bowl.

Ron Chamberlin
02-27-2007, 9:01 AM
That is looking good. For my taste, I like a small foot, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch (3 to 6 mm) high, slightly smaller than the final diameter at the bottom of the bowl, but not so small in diameter to make it unstable. This lifts the bowl above the surface and removes any heavy look. The first ceramic bowl I ever threw had a shape exactly the one you show!. While it is still attractive to me, now it looks a bit heavy. Just my 2 cents worth - artistic judgement is in the onlookers's own eye:p .

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Benjamin I like this one better yet. I would probably make a smaller foot on it if were me. You definately improved. Nice work.

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2007, 3:32 PM
Benjamin - I like this bowl a lot better than the first - not that there was anything wrong with your first one. Have to agree with everyone so far in that the general form of your bowl is very nice and that the bowl would look even better if the foot was smaller.

Just curious - what do you use to reverse mount the bowl when turning the foot?

Benjamin Dahl
02-28-2007, 9:31 PM
again, thanks for the feedback.
Steve, if I understand your question, which I might not, I have been using a woodworm screw mounted on my chuck. for my first piece I cut a tenon and tightened the jaws on the outside. on the last piece I cut a recess and expanded the jaws into the space. I think my problem has been that the jaws are a little big for the small wood I have been using so I can't taper as much as I should. I want to turn some bigger blocks so that should help. I think I should try to get some smaller jaws but think I should also look into using a glue block. Does that sound like a good solution?

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2007, 9:52 PM
Benjamin - I asked what you were using to reverse mount your bowl because the form of your bowl is exactly what I use to turn when I had no means to turn the very bottom or foot of the bowl. I would simply turn to the basic shape that I wanted while it was still in the chuck. That means the foot is always fairly large and is actually determined by the size of the jaws you use to hold the bowl.

When you reverse turn it you mount the bowl in a cole jaws or some call them jumbo jaws and that gives you total access to the bottom of the bowl. Now you can turn away the bulk of the foot and add whatever detail you desire at the same time.

Actual name of the jaws you would use would depend on the brand of chuck you have - all have some style of cole jaws.

Hope I helped more than I confused. Questions??? Ask.