PDA

View Full Version : Son's first day as EMT

Joe Pelonio
02-26-2007, 11:04 PM
After training all last week my son started today working a 12 hour shift at the ambulance company. All went well, he drove some, had a lot of calls, some easy some not so. Anyway, he stopped by the house on the way home to tell us all about it. As he was leaving, his fire department pager went off and he got the automatic cellphone text message, as the station where he volunteers had been called out along with 3 others.

To a structure fire at his apartment complex! Not his building, but one just up the hill from his. My wife says that's the first time she's heard him swear in front of her as he ran out the door.

Update: He called. Someone lit their bbq on their balcony and it flared up, so a neighbor saw it and thought it ws a fire and called 911. :o

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Joe......I hope your son is enjoying it! I have a lot of respect for those first line medical providers! Glad it wasn't a real fire at his complex or his apartment building!

Joe Chritz
02-27-2007, 3:24 AM
Tell him welcome aboard.

I was a medic for a short while before I hired into the Sheriff Department full time.

I always said I was interfering with natural selection one stupid person at a time.

Joe

Phyllis Meyer
02-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Joe,

Tell you Son, we are really proud of him! While my Mom was at home, those EMT's were the first ones that got there before the ambulance (13 times)! Hearts of gold! Glad to hear that he is working and the blood pressure alert was OK!!!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Mark Pruitt
02-27-2007, 1:09 PM
Joe,
I see many, many EMTs at the hospital where I work (level two trauma center). I have great respect for them and am thankful for people like your son who choose to dedicate themselves to serving others in crises.

Tyler Howell
02-27-2007, 4:36 PM
A wonderful profession!!:cool:
I met many fine people and leanerd many things mostly about myself.
Congrats.
Tell him to enjoy and CYA!

Joe Pelonio
02-27-2007, 6:30 PM
Thanks to all of you, we are really proud of him. He's comitted to being a paramedic one day, and is working hard at the community college to get his transfer degree so he can apply to the program at Central WA U in two years after he has the required EMT experience. So far he loves the work but was really surprised at all the paperwork, especially when handling medicare patients.

Jerry Clark
02-27-2007, 7:44 PM
Joe I think anyone who takes EMT work derserves more respect than the actually receive-- long hours, low pay and under constant stress. This is a necessary position that saves lives every day. Tell him that I also respect him for taking this work.:)

Joe Pelonio
02-28-2007, 7:58 PM
I just got a text message, his 2nd day has been a bit busier. After his 12 hour shift he's been held over, because in that area there are whiteout conditions, and the I5 freeway is closed with wrecks all over the place due to heavy snow.