PDA

View Full Version : First post and a pic test

Bob Horvath
02-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi all.
I've been a long time lurker and decided to say hello to all you fellow creekers.Here are a couple of pics of a slot morticer I am building.

These pics were taken a few months ago.It is made with bosch 45mm extrusions for the frame and some festo air slides that I got of ebay.I used the linear bearings from the festo slides for the x,y and z axis.The bearings ride on 20mm Thomson shaft.I have the z axis with the router mounted in it almost done and I should hopefully be taking some test cuts this weekend.I will post some more pics when it is done.Anyway, I got my first post in and figured out how to get a pic attatched.

Pete Brown
02-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Very cool!

Did you grind/flatten the tooling plate yourself? If so, what equipment did you use?

Also, from where did you purchase the extrusions? I have seen their site online (when I was looking at building a gantry mill), but never went as far as pricing or shopping.

Pete

Mike Langford
02-26-2007, 10:48 PM
WOW, On my first post I just said "Hi" :o
Your project looks great,Bob. Will your slot morticer be like the Multi-Router used by David J. Marks on the "WoodWorks" program?
http://www.djmarks.com/multirouter.asp

Bob Horvath
02-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words.I got the plate for free from my foreman at work.I have another the same size that I will mount to the lower plate with some sort of hinge, so I can do angled work on it also.It was originally one plate about 18x22.I cut it in half and then milled them together the same width.The ends still need to be squared up.One of the guys in the plate grinding area ground it undersize and the customer would not accept it.Bad for him but good for me.It was ground on a blanchard grinder.I saw the multirouter in a fww article about ten or twelve years ago and said that one day I would make something like it.I will be using a threaded feedscrew to lower/raise the router.Once I get the bugs out of it for doing mortices,I will attempt to come up with some sort of template system like the multirouter and add a joystick to move it up and down.The feedscrew will be easy to disengage and allow for manual movement.I'm sort of flying by the seat of my pants with this project.I didn't draw anything out, which can lead to some headaches.Pete,You can contact bosch to see who the distributor is in your area.

Ted Miller
02-27-2007, 1:03 AM
Welcome Bob...

David Cramer
02-27-2007, 7:59 AM
Welcome Ted and great job on the slot morticer. I wish I had those kind of talents to build something like that myself, but not to be. Thanks for posting pictures of it. It's neat to see some of the things you guys can build from scratch.

Dave

Rich Torino
02-27-2007, 9:41 AM
Hey Bob,
serious piece of equipment your making... Look good. Keep us posted of your progress

Jim Becker
02-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Nice work, Bob...and welcome!

Eric Wong
02-27-2007, 9:07 PM
Wow, once again people with metalworking skills make me jealous...