PDA

View Full Version : Dead Garbage Disposer...Need Recommendations

Sam Chambers
02-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Well, our garbage disposer finally bit the dust. Leaking all over the place.

Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement? SWMBO's priorities are:

1. The ability to instantly reduce anything - including steel cable - to a fine powder, without clogging.

2. It needs to be quiet. Vewy, vewy quiet.

My priorities:

1. Reasonably priced.

2. I'd prefer if it installed itself, or at least came with discount coupons to the neurosurgeon (for the inevitable back injury).

Any thoughts?

Ernie Kuhn
02-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Sam,
Been there, did that, this last weekend.

At Lowe's: In Sink Erator 1/3 HP Badger 1 I

$68.00 plus tax.

1 year warantee. Toughest part is laying in the cabinet under the sink.

Works, much quiter than the old unit, doesn't leak. Yeah!!!

Good Luck.

Be sure to throw the breaker off, FIRST. Check wires with volt meter, just to be sure.

Ernie

Bart Leetch
02-27-2007, 12:09 AM
If your on a septic tank the quietest & easiest way is to just take it out & replace with pluming. But if your going to replace with another sitzee grinder you can't really go wrong with a Sink Erator.A long time ago I had a plumber tell me that you should put a 1/2 of a head of chopped up or shredded cabbage down your toilet twice a year because it causes your septic tank system enzymes to really work good. Now days you can get these enzymes in little bags made by various companies.

Sam Chambers
02-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks, Bart. I've always heard that InSinkErator was the standard by which the others are measured. (The one that died is an InSinkErator, but they all die eventually, right?)

A plumber told me to run a bunch of ice cubes through the disposer every few months to clean it.

I'm on city sewer, so there's no issue with septic system.

John Schreiber
02-27-2007, 12:48 AM
Ours died not too long ago and I replaced it with one which had what seemed like a feature, but is really a pain.

The splash guard, the rubber bit which you push the food through, is removable on ours. When I bought it, I thought that was neat because that way you could clean it and get the grunge off the bottom. The problem is that it makes the hole just a bit smaller and things don't fit through as well. All in all, a removable splash guard is a bad idea.

Russ Filtz
02-27-2007, 7:20 AM
John, take some scissors and trim the hole a bit bigger. I had to do that on mine to make the water flow freely.