PDA

View Full Version : home made portable tool box help

Roddy Thibault
02-26-2007, 9:27 PM
home made portable tool box pictures is what im looking for
havnt found any tool boxs that work for me.
I work on a few job sites a day and have to haul your tools around(it just stinks)
I end up with about 6 to 10 tool boxs( i have a cart/dolly that i load up)
I would like to have just 2 to 3 boxs with all my tools
What size of tool boxs do you guys use when you go to the job site?
Im finding that I have way too many toolboxs.....
jigsaw box,drill box,beltsander box,router box,impact box,screw box,handtools box
it just seems to be getting away from me

if you have any thoughts or can direct me to some pictures that would be great

Jim Becker
02-26-2007, 9:33 PM
Roddy, I'm wondering if you might be best served with a locking vehicle based storage system for the major part of your portable/jobsite tool assortment and something simple for carrying specific things into the workplace as you need them. You may take a few more trips back and forth to the vehicle during the day, but whatever you're not actually using will be safe, secure and dry while unattended.

Ben Grunow
02-27-2007, 9:47 PM
I havent found anything better than what you describe and the ehing that bothers me the most is that it seems every year or so a new tool comes out that I have to have for the job.. this would mean that whatever tool box I made would have to be changed. Festool, pocket screws/jigs, pull saws, what is next?

I do have a bag for my tools that I love. It is heavy but carries the following in organized and easily accessible order:

4 screwdrivers
3 nailsets
10 pencils
4 sharpies
circular saw wrench
air blower
4 chisels
6" punch
bullnose and block plane
5/16" nut driver
side cutters
bullnose nail pullers
small flat bar
4 files
2 4 way rasps
coping saw/blades
scribe
stair nuts for framing square
plumb bob
chalk line
knife
hammer
25' tape measure
scraper
L and R sheetmetal shears
channel locks
electricians pliers
pliers
2 vise grips
drywall saw
wire strippers
wire crimpers
tubing cutter
SAE and metric allen key sets
small sliding square
electrical tape
teflon tape
cats paw
rip guide for circular saw

I think that is it. I weighs about 40 lbs but I never go to the truck for a hand tool.

Check it out here:
http://www.professionalequipment.com/xq/ASP/ProductID.1372/id.3/subID.404/qx/default.htm?CMP=KNC-Google

Got it at local lumber yard. Tough with good zippers and thick plastic base. Should last 10 years or so.

Ben

Edit: forgot to mention

Bevel gauge
stud finder
putty knife
torpedo level
needlenose pliers
adjustable wrench

thats really it.

Gary Breckenridge
02-27-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm thinking WHEELS; something not so heavy as you can't lift it into your truck or car.:) Think about all the people in the airport moving 50# of stuff with no effort.:) How about a dolly like the loading dock workers use with shelves for three removable boxes. And get a bike lock so it can be chained up at a worksite.:)

brian gallagher
02-28-2007, 10:21 PM
hey, I am very PRO-WHEEL like Gary.

I use an unusual Italian, framed, folding, cordura suitcase that has 4 wheels. It has a some100lb plus weight limit and the website shows people sit on it and yank it down stairs! its called TUTTO, also available on the bay', volume is something like 22x 14x 9 inch.

It is very well built with heavy duty zippers and frame, the handle will hold the weight!! and you can throw tool pallets inside and it weighs around 5 pounds -but its no Pelican Case! -about 20 pounds lighter than your typical carryon sized wheeled Pelican or military case tho.

problem is, I easily have all Bens tools listed above plus about 25#s more in materials!!! This has pushed the limits of the little tutto bag and I have injured his wheels lately. bear in mind this is from my habit of slaming it up curbs and down stairs with above mentioned 50-75# plus weight. As long as it is not packed solid with german tool steel it should not self destruct. I am thinking to upgrade the wheels.

let me clarify... I work in NYC, and like to order my materials on site delivered, and take the subway to work. I have a car/sled but they are just the biggest pains in the city for small jobs. Subway travel involves many stairs and curbs. I like the Tutto because I can grab its handle easy to go up a few stairs- no complicated folding transition. The dolly that I describe below is also handy for small loads because the handle collapses easy and it is like a small suitcase to carry up stairs smoothly.

I also use a sturdy folding aluminum dolly (4" wheels) that has appeared on the market in the last couple years for cheap. (50$). Has a 150 pound limit and folds up into a 22" by 14" laptop computer size. very handy. there is a bigger brother to this also (250# limit).

I would like to try some of the larger (festool) Systainers stacked on my dolly. Then you can expand upwards and clip a new box on depending on what more you need that day. Also keep the weight down since they are plastic.

the VETO propak that Ben uses is tough and nice but too heavy for no wheels. That kind of weight in a shoulderbag on the subway is very bad for your posture, spine, shoulder. I see these guys downtown here that have permanently altered themselves hauling shoulder bags of papers/computers home. yikes.

brian

Ben Grunow
03-01-2007, 9:30 PM
You are right about the weight but my 3/4 ton Chevy doesnt mind as long as I agree to carry it in to the job (usually less than 100' walk).

I think the answer to the question here lies in how far and how many stairs and obstacles you have to traverse. What do you do and what type of jobs are you visiting?

This idea interests me and I am sure there are some great portable boxes out there.