PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Magazine reprint

Wes Bischel
12-09-2003, 2:54 AM
I was wondering if anyone had Workbench magazine #272. They have a blurb on their website concerning an old drill press. I recently bought a model just like it. I just want to know if there is more information about the DP in the magazine before I go to the bother of buying a back issue.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Wes

PS: The web info is here to compair to the magazine:

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/gallery/272-speeder.html

G.C. Wagner
12-09-2003, 8:27 AM
I was wondering if anyone had Workbench magazine #272. They have a blurb on their website concerning an old drill press. I recently bought a model just like it. I just want to know if there is more information about the DP in the magazine before I go to the bother of buying a back issue.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Wes

PS: The web info is here to compair to the magazine:

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/gallery/272-speeder.html

Hi Wes,

I have that issue and there is nothing else about the drill press in it. What you see on the website is exactly what is in the magazine.

Hope this helps.

Gerry

Wes Bischel
12-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Gerry,
That's a big help - I would have been disappointed if I had bought it with higher expectations. Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Wes

Noah Alkinburgh
12-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Wes,

lets see a picture of that bad boy! Did it have the leather belt on it?

Noah

Wes Bischel
12-09-2003, 3:39 PM
OK, but just remember - you asked for it!

The good bad and really ugly:

Hopefully the image will post OK - first try here.

The DP is a Champion Blower and Forge unit. I'm not sure what year, though it appears to be a hybrid line shaft/electric motor unit (no, not because of the belt). The base ID number ends with the letter designation "E" which I am thinking stands for "electric". If a typical round base without the motor mount is substituted, the unit could be run off of a line shaft. I have never seen an electric unit from CBF before - only post drills that are hand cranked or belt driven. This isn't to say they didn't have an extensive line, just that I'm not familiar with them.
I picked this one off of eBay for $15, and bought a motor with it's pulley from him for another $10. The motor shown in the picture is actually one I had, but it's closer to the correct unit than the one I bought (I got it for the pulley). The table was not original, and actually damaged the table clamp. I figure with some clean-up, new coat of paint and a proper table and belt, it will make a nice little unit. For what, I'm not sure. :rolleyes:

OBTW - did you know the factory building is being renovated to house restaurants. I used to live a block away from it and never knew it's history.

Wes

Tyler Howell
12-09-2003, 5:50 PM
Careful with your restoration!!! New paint and even cleaning de-value many collectables. :rolleyes:

TJH

OK, but just remember - you asked for it!

The good bad and really ugly:

Hopefully the image will post OK - first try here.

The DP is a Champion Blower and Forge unit. I'm not sure what year, though it appears to be a hybrid line shaft/electric motor unit (no, not because of the belt). The base ID number ends with the letter designation "E" which I am thinking stands for "electric". If a typical round base without the motor mount is substituted, the unit could be run off of a line shaft. I have never seen an electric unit from CBF before - only post drills that are hand cranked or belt driven. This isn't to say they didn't have an extensive line, just that I'm not familiar with them.
I picked this one off of eBay for $15, and bought a motor with it's pulley from him for another $10. The motor shown in the picture is actually one I had, but it's closer to the correct unit than the one I bought (I got it for the pulley). The table was not original, and actually damaged the table clamp. I figure with some clean-up, new coat of paint and a proper table and belt, it will make a nice little unit. For what, I'm not sure. :rolleyes:

OBTW - did you know the factory building is being renovated to house restaurants. I used to live a block away from it and never knew it's history.

Wes

Wes Bischel
12-09-2003, 6:10 PM
I hear ya. Though this unit, to a real collector, would be considered good for parts, or as the plane collectors term it "a user". It has seen hard use, hence the low price. From what I have seen, it seems like the hand tool collectors view original finishes differently than the machine collectors. Original finish is always best, but a well done refinish is typically OK for machines. There are always exceptions though.

Wes