PDA

View Full Version : Can there be a Rainbow when snowing?

Joe Pelonio
02-26-2007, 7:09 PM
I always wondered if there would be a rainbow if it was snowing and sunny, but until now never saw that happen. It was 43, but suddenly the rain turned to snow and it dropped to 33, it's now snowing and sunny. http://forums.bonsaisite.com/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

No sign of a rainbow, I looked in every direction.

Jim Dunn
02-26-2007, 7:13 PM
Sure, water vapor is water vapor. Only thing is at the end of a snow rainbow you find a frozen leprichan. No gold he spent it on heating fuel:)

Jon Knauft
02-26-2007, 7:37 PM
Yesterday we had 18 inches of snow during a Thundersnow storm. You could hear the thunder rumbling all night. Now I have to figure out how to get through the 5 foot snow drift that's covering my driveway! :) :)

We may have had a rainbow but the 400 yard visibility didn't help with that.

-Jon

Joe Pelonio
02-26-2007, 7:41 PM
Sure, water vapor is water vapor. Only thing is at the end of a snow rainbow you find a frozen leprichan. No gold he spent it on heating fuel:)

I'll stop looking for him now, the snow stopped.

john mclane
02-26-2007, 7:45 PM
With snow all the way from the clouds you cannot get a rainbow since the refraction through the water droplets cannot occur but with mixed weather and possible warmer air above you could get the water droplets and then forming snow on the way down.

Lee Schierer
02-26-2007, 7:54 PM
I've never seen a rainbow in the snow, but I have seen arcs of color caused by the reflection or distortion of light caused by snow flakes in the air. They are usually just a single color, not multi colored like a rainbow.

Thunder and lightening is not unusual when it is snowing.

Joe Pelonio
02-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Another unusual morning. It's been snowing hard, with huge flakes for over two hours and it's not sticking anywhere, right at 32. The roads are just fine. I guess that's better than it could be, or is in some places.

Al Wasser
02-28-2007, 2:37 PM
Several times I have heard thunder during a snow storm

Scott Loven
02-28-2007, 2:46 PM
It was -30F earlier this month. When it is that cold and we get a lot of snow cristials blowing around we have multi-collored "Rainbow" in the sky. Kinda like thishttp://www.2filter.com/images/natureslensflare.jpg

Joe Pelonio
02-28-2007, 3:17 PM
Whooooaaaa, that's cool!