PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone drilled into Bies?

Alex Berkovsky
02-26-2007, 7:06 PM
I have read in the past that some people drill into their Biesemeyer fence in order to be able to mount an auxiliary fence(s). Has anyone done something like this?

Eric Wong
02-26-2007, 7:08 PM
No but I've thought about it :). I don't suppose that's any help, though.

scott spencer
02-26-2007, 7:08 PM
I know that people have done it, but there are viable alternatives. A combination of rare earth magnets, friction, and a physical L-stop should do the trick too.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/auxfence.jpg

Ed O'Neill
02-26-2007, 7:17 PM
Alex, I had the same thought but solved it in a different way. Make a box out of mdf or plywood that fits over the Bies. On the end where the handle is located you will have to make a cut out to allow for the up and down motion of the locking handle. The box which I made is a snug fit and serves as my sacraficial fence. and can be adapted for auxillary uses. Good Luck, Ed

Bruce Page
02-26-2007, 7:20 PM
I drilled & tapped mine for some home made Board Buddy mounts.

Mark Carlson
02-26-2007, 7:28 PM
Alex,

I use 3 of these Festool clamps to attach my aux fences. Just take your aux fence and drill three, 1/2 in holes into the edge. The end of these clamps fit into the holes and then you just adjust the clamps. This can also be used for stop blocks. Heres what the clamps look like so you hopefully can visualize what I'm describing.

~mark

Gary Keedwell
02-26-2007, 7:30 PM
I drill and tapped some holes for my Board Buddies....from the top.

Gary K.

Alex Berkovsky
02-26-2007, 7:34 PM
I know that people have done it, but there are viable alternatives. A combination of rare earth magnets, friction, and a physical L-stop should do the trick too.
Scott,
I do remember seeing your invention in the magazine... pretty slick!

I drilled & tapped mine for some home made Board Buddy mounts.Bruce,
I was talking about drilling into the side and through the fence itself... but the same idea.

Bruce Page
02-26-2007, 7:40 PM
Bruce,
I was talking about drilling into the side and through the fence itself... but the same idea.

Same difference, just a different “side”.
Wasn’t sure if you were looking for drill & tap info, or what. It's been a long day. :cool:

Eric Wong
02-26-2007, 7:49 PM
Same difference, just a different “side”.
Wasn’t sure if you were looking for drill & tap info, or what. It's been a long day. :cool:

Warning: Do not post to the Creek or operate heavy machinery when excessively tired or under the influence of alcohol.

:D

Bruce Page
02-26-2007, 8:05 PM
Warning: Do not post to the Creek or operate heavy machinery when excessively tired or under the influence of alcohol.

:D
Yeah, I should've read the OP 3 times! :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
02-26-2007, 8:23 PM
I cheerfully drilled and tapped two holes in the top of the Xacta fence on my previous saw...a la Jim Tolpin's Table Saw Magic. It doesn't harm the fence one iota and increases the versatility of the thing many times over. Go for it! But have a plan so that you can easily create multiple auxiliary accessories for it. The book I mentioned is a good reference for that.

Dan Wilt
02-26-2007, 9:48 PM
I used self-tapping sheet metal screws to attach the melamine strip between the 2 sides of the Beisemeyer. It doesn't hurt the fence but makes it much more versitile.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/dpemily95/IMG_1211.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/dpemily95/IMG_1212.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/dpemily95/IMG_1239.jpg

I attach a cut-off block, board buddies, and an aux fence with the t-track.

Dan

Jim Becker
02-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Dan, Great job on that accommodation!

Rennie Heuer
02-27-2007, 8:03 AM
I used self-tapping sheet metal screws to attach the melamine strip between the 2 sides of the Beisemeyer. It doesn't hurt the fence but makes it much more versitile.
I attach a cut-off block, board buddies, and an aux fence with the t-track.

Dan
Dan,

Thanks!!:D

I have been thinking of just such a set-up for years. Now I know it can be done. This is now near the top of my spring project list!

Darroll Walsh
02-27-2007, 1:18 PM
Nice Dan! That's how I will do mine.

Randy Cooper
02-27-2007, 2:21 PM
Dan, thanks for posting those pictures. I now know what I'm going to do!

Randy

Alex Berkovsky
02-27-2007, 2:39 PM
Dan, thanks for posting those pictures. I now know what I'm going to do!

RandyHow come no one is thanking me for askng the question? ;) :D

Darroll Walsh
02-27-2007, 2:40 PM
Thanks Alex :)