PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried engraving the Intoura pen from I-Mark?

Scott Shepherd
02-26-2007, 3:56 PM
Just got a small batch of these to try and it appears to be a paint type coating over a brass tube. You can burn through it, but the image I'm burning is not bright and shiny. I've tried less and less power, but the image is never shiny, only dull.

Just wondering if anyone else had tried them yet and maybe had some input.

Thanks-

Mike Hood
02-26-2007, 8:20 PM
The brass may be dull underneath. Try something like Tarn-Away after you've exposed the brass. I did that on some laser pointers and it worked wonderfully.

Scott Shepherd
02-26-2007, 9:19 PM
Thanks Mike. They missed a good opportunity to have a killer product by not clear coating a polished tube.

The pen has a life time warranty with free refills for life, so it looked like a good product.

I was planning on trying something to make it shine, but knowing anything I did would eventually tarnish, leaving someone unhappy in the future, when they may be looking to purchase something else.

Shame, it's a very nice pen and it only costs about a buck.

Mike Hood
02-26-2007, 11:28 PM
These laser pointers I did had very inconsistent tubes (from a brightness point of view). But after lasering them and brightening up with the Tarn-X they hold the shine very well. We use them everyday at work and I suspect the constant handling keeps them nice and shiny.

Mike Null
02-27-2007, 7:41 AM
I had similar experiences with pens from JDS. Finally filled them with gold paint and got a satisfactory look. The lacquer they used was the hardest stuff I've seen and had to be lasered several times.