PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Question

Lloyd Parker
02-26-2007, 3:51 PM
I bought a Jet Mini VS Lathe about 6 months ago. All my turning since then have been pens or between centers. I am looking to get a chuck in the next week or so and I was wondering what the group down on this forum would recommend.

Looking for your experience. I have looked at the Nova Precision Midi and G3.

Any other suggestions comments would be appreciated.

I am looking to get into turning some bowls soon. They are trimming the fruit trees in the area and I got a lock on some nice peach, apple, and cherry in the next few weeks that would be awesome if I could turn out some bowls.

Thanks,

Claude Arragon
02-26-2007, 3:54 PM
you have the choice with the VICMARC VL 100 and the Oneway Talon chuck. They both fit your lathe well

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2007, 3:58 PM
Lloyd, I have the same lathe and use a SuperNova2 chuck and it works quite well.

Neal Addy
02-26-2007, 4:41 PM
Good, quality chucks for a mini-lathe: Nova G3, Oneway Talon, Vicmarc 3-1/2", PSI Barracuda2.

But like Ken suggests, you do have the range of full-size chucks as an option. They will work on your mini. As long as you can find a 1" x 8TPI adaptor for it you're in business.

The only disadvantage to a full-size chuck is footprint. A full-size doesn't give you quite as much room to work close to the headstock as a smaller chuck. But you will have it for when (not if) you upgrade to bigger iron.

That said, the smaller chucks work just fine on a full-size lathe. I use a Talon on my 1442 with no worries. But then I don't turn humongous pieces either.

Bob Noles
02-26-2007, 4:45 PM
Lloyd,

All the chuck mentioned are good ones. I personally use the G3 on my Jet mini and love it. I has done everything I have asked of it.