PDA

View Full Version : Fein Vacuum

Jeff Caskie
02-26-2007, 3:18 PM
I am also thinking of getting a Fein Vacuum at the Woodcraft sale this Sat. Are these by any chance excluded from the sale? I am going to try an get there early for the extra 5% (I think).

These are currently listed on Amazon for II-$299 III-$349. This time they are being sold directly from Amazon w/ free shipping. It seems the last time I checked, they were being sold by one of the other companies w/ shipping extra (ie Quality Distributing LLC). Are there any other etailers that offer good deals on these vacuums?

Hoa Dinh
02-26-2007, 3:58 PM
Don't know who has the best prices for Fein Vaccums. But Coastal Tool (http://www.coastaltool.com/) has the best prices on many accessories.

lou sansone
02-26-2007, 7:22 PM
those are good prices and they are great vacuums. I don't really see you saving much more than you already have with the free shipping. I say go for it and enjoy

lou

Gary Curtis
02-26-2007, 7:24 PM
exactly one year ago, Amazon had the Turbo II for sale at $249. I can't remember what the shipping was.

to my amazement, they didn't charge me tax, even though I live in California. the folks at Highland Hardware advised me that the Turbo II does all you'll need without the extra expense of the Turbo III. I'm impressed with the machine, and even use it to clean my house (with the accessory kit). the bags have a lot of capacity.

Gary Curtis

Eric Wong
02-26-2007, 7:30 PM
Many Woodcraft sales "exclude power tools", but to determine exactly what is classified as a power tool, you need tea leaves, chicken feet, an eye of a newt, and a lock of hair from the store manager.

Bruce Page
02-26-2007, 7:35 PM
Many Woodcraft sales "exclude power tools", but to determing exactly what is classified as a power tool, you need tea leaves, chicken feet, an eye of a newt, and a lock of hair from the store manager.
LOL, ain’t that the truth!
I can count on the fact that whatever I’m interested in will be on the excluded list. :rolleyes:
And, the manager will be bald!

John Shuk
02-26-2007, 8:31 PM
I had a chance to use a Fein at a local shop and I could not believe how quiet it was. I had to keep putting my hand in front of the hose to check! I can now understand the cost of them.

John Miliunas
02-26-2007, 8:33 PM
Jeff, don't know where you reside but, our WC in Madison, WI exludes: Festool, SawStop and I'm pretty sure, Leigh jigs and Tormek. These are actually NOT even WC's decisions but, from the OEM's. At the Madison store, LN, Jet, PowerMatic, FEIN, etc... are open game. Not positive about the Steel City, as the store just ordered their inventory of some of those products. Oh, and FWIW, I've had the Fein Mini-Turbo for 5 or six years and love it! Wish I woulda' had the funds for the II at the time! :) :cool:

"Gary Brewer"
02-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi Jeff: I bought the Fein Turbo II from Amazon last December for my son. It was $299 less a $50 discount =$249( actually $50 was off $300 or more, I added the 1 micron filter to go over the $300 mark). They run these $50 off things off and on. Usually at Christmas and sometimes father's day sales plus other random times. It is a very good vacuum. It was that or the Festool.
Gary

Randall Frey
02-27-2007, 1:13 AM
Jeff, I bought the Turbo II and it is a sweet machine. One thing to consider though, if you plan to use any Festool tools, the Fein hose won't fit the tools and the cfm of the Fein is fixed and can be too much for the Festool 6" RO sander. Festool vacuum has a speed adjustment for cfm. Aside from that the Fein is very nice, you will enjoy it.

Scott Brihn
02-27-2007, 9:24 AM
Jeff,

I picked up my Turbo II from Woodcraft five years ago. Minus the already mentioned, random $50 off Toolcrib specials I have not seen the vacs for less than $299 recently. The Woodcraft "early bird" 15% off is worth looking into. Like the previous poster I have found the accessory pricing at Coastal Tools to be competitive.

IMHO it is worth the extra money to purchase the pleated 1 micron filter (part # TII1MCRN) and bags. For the first four years I used the "standard" cloth filter bladder and no bags. It worked well but when it came time to empty the canister I needed to drag the whole thing outside, put on a dust mask and dump the contents directly into the trash can. This messy inconvenience has been eliminated since I installed the pleated filter and bag.

I have also found that two hose cradles (part# 3916054A089) installed on either side of the canister effectively eliminate the trip hazard caused by having the 16' hose coiled up on the floor.

You might also want to pick up a couple of "step adaptors" (part# 921072K13). These will make a tight connection between the vac and tool.

Rob Blaustein
02-27-2007, 10:05 AM
I have the Turbo II, upgraded with the HEPA filter package and bags, and really like it. I have put it through its paces including use as a wet vac twice for flooding in our basement. It's a work horse. I also bought a Festool hose to make it easier to mate with Festool tools (I had the vac before getting into the Festool system). BUT, if I had to do it over again I would go with the Festool vac. Given my upgrades to HEPA and the Festool hose, if would cost roughly the same as the CT22 (which comes with HEPA), and have some conveniences particular to Festool like the adjustable speed for use with the Festool ROS as mentioned above. But if you have no plans for any Festool stuff, the Fein is a super vac.

Jim Becker
02-27-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm inclined to agree with Rob on this...when you push the cost close, the Festool vac becomes the better buy due to features and a compact profile that is easier to store under benches, etc.

Scott...nice to see you posting!