PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw Puzzles Anyone?

Carter Johnson
02-26-2007, 1:06 PM
Hi folks.....

I've contributed for years to some other forums but just joined this one. I am a scrollsawer specializing in freehand color-line-cut jigsaw puzzles. All are cut from various 1/4" plywoods, with pieces ranging in number from 250 to 500 pieces. Those pieces interlock tightly and each puzzle can be picked up by an edge pieces and waved in the air without falling apart. I don't sell my puzzles, though they would fetch quite a penny.

Here's a link to one of my Picture Trail albums in which are shown photos of the fronts and backs of just a few of my puzzles. For anyone who's interested, I'm happy to be of any assistance I can.

Have phun.........Carter

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9009945&uid=3559642&members=1

John Miliunas
02-26-2007, 1:17 PM
First off, Carter, a BIG "Welcome to the Creek"! :) Secondly, what chance is there you could bottle up some of your patience and sell me some? Wow! Extraordinary scrolling there! :) If you were to share any of your tips or even tutorial on a piece, I'm sure it would be much appreciated by many, as we do have a number of scrollers on board! Again, welcome and please, come often, stay long! :) :cool:

Carter Johnson
02-26-2007, 1:43 PM
Many thanks, John....I hope people find my work interesting.

Patience never enters into the equation. I have a relatively short attention span so I go down to the saw, cut 30 to 40 pieces, sand them quickly and put them together with those I've cut previously. That takes maybe 25 minutes or so. Then I turn off the saw and find something else to do. Lo and behold, by the end of a week and a few similar sessions, a puzzle is finished and ready to be entered in my log, taken apart, have its pieces counted and then be taken up to my wife who puts them all together. When she's done I have many familes around the country who borrow and enjoy them. There are well over 350 full-size puzzles in my basement.

You may have noticed some small puzzles in the album. All our Christmas cards are puzzles and have been for ten years. I have 17 done for 2007 and plan to make over 80. I think I'll go cut one now.................

Have phun.....Carter

Darroll Walsh
02-26-2007, 2:09 PM
Welcome Carter.

I love your puzzles! What do you use for the picture side of the puzzle?

- D

Carter Johnson
02-26-2007, 2:16 PM
Darroll, the pictures come primarily from calendars. I deliberately choose pictures that have lots of images within them that can be cut into puzzle pieces. I never use a pattern but the images are what I look for to implement my style of color line cutting......Carter

Darroll Walsh
02-26-2007, 2:19 PM
I take it you just glue the pictures to the wood, then cut. Do you apply a finish to the piture/peices to protect it?

Getting some ideas here.

Thanks for sharing your work Carter.

Carter Johnson
02-26-2007, 2:32 PM
I glue the picture to the wood with a thin, even coat of Aileen's Tacky Glue, which I buy at craft stores (brown plastic bottle). When glued, I cut the edges and then apply one thick coat of any "Triple-Thick Glaze" spray, also available at craft stores. The Krylon brand, which is good but takes a long time (2 days) to dry, is available at many other outlets.

Have phun...Carter

Benjimin Young
02-26-2007, 2:41 PM
Carter, absolutly stunning and I echo John's comments as well.

Am I correct in understanding you scroll the cuts freehand with no puzzle cut design or tempate to guide you? How long have you been doing this? WOW!

And I thught life was a puzzle!

Ben

Carter Johnson
02-26-2007, 2:52 PM
Thanks, Ben...I've been doing this since 1993 and have never used a template or pattern. I just don;t see why anyone would ever need one for a puzzle. I just cut pieces, making sure they have locks to most of the adjoining pieces (either 2,3 or 4 locking tabs) and I use images within the pictures to form many of the lines between pieces, again, of course, with locking tabs. Most of my puzzles can be picked up by any edge pieces and waved in the air.

I use a Flying Dutchman 2/0 "special puzzle" narrow kerf blade. My saw is a DeWalt. The wood is 5-ply poplar or Baltic birch, or 3-ply oak or cedar. All 1/4".

Have phun.....Carter