PDA

View Full Version : Incra 5000 versus crosscut sled

Steven J Corpstein
02-27-2003, 5:25 PM
Does anyone own an Incra 5000 and if so, does it replace the need for a dedicated crosscut sled? I realize they are BIG bucks, but I have some need for an accurate miter gauge as well as a crosscut device. Trying to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Ken Platt
02-27-2003, 5:42 PM
I have one of these. It's a great tool, period. Yes, it's a bit pricey, and yes, given time I could've built a nice crosscut sled for less, but then I, like you, would have still needed a decent miter gauge. If $$ are an issue, the economical solution is the Incra 1000 and a home built sled. However, I've never regretted this one but rather it's one of those tool that feels good each time I use it.

One thing that sold me on the 5K that proved to be very true was the promise of being able to crosscut wide panels. The design is such that the sled is stable and accurate with a large amount of the sled hanging over the front of the TS. I can't recall offhand the widest it can cut but it is substantial.

Hope this helps -

Ken

Ken Garlock
02-27-2003, 5:44 PM
Steven, While you are considering the Incra 5000, take a look at the Jointech Smartmiter. Last saturday I spent some time playing the multipart internet video. While still a novice, I must say that I was impressed. At first glance, it looks like a strange bird, but there is a reason for it. I could attempt to descibe it, but I am sure that I could not do it justice. To really appreciate it, you must view the videos.

Check it out at: http://www.jointech.com/smart_miter.htm

John Wadsworth
02-27-2003, 6:29 PM
I have the Jointech smart miter and use it on almost every crosscut. There is, however, a limit to the size of piece I would feel comfortable working on without a true sled. Today I cut about 3/32" off the top of a cabinet door that had been binding--the door is 16" wide and about 40" tall. Any bigger than that and you'd be doing a balancing act. With a big sled you could go a bit bigger--though nothing beats a sliding table.