PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw Table Size?

Matt Donohue
02-26-2007, 9:14 AM
I'm planning on buying a Sawstop TS soon but I have a question about the size. The question is should I get the 52" right-side table or the 36"? I "know" that bigger is better but how often do you need the extra 16"? I can squeeze the 52" in my shop, but was debating saving the floor space for having extra table space. I have a Craftsman contractor TS with 24" right-side cut now so I'm gaining real estate either way. Opinions?

Jim Becker
02-26-2007, 9:21 AM
It's funny, I was asking myself the same question when I was getting ready to accomodate my new saw in the shop. My cabinet saw had the 50" rip cut capacity and while I didn't use it much, I did on occasion find it useful. (Pre-Festool) The new saw also came with 50" rip capacity. I toyed with cutting it down, but in the end decided to leave it as-is for maximum flexibility over time.

You need to make your decision based on your available space and your projects as well as what other tools you have available...weighing each to figure out what is more important over time...the wider fence or more shop floor space. But you know...you can always get longer rails in the future if you get the shorter ones now--for most fence options available to you. That may be a way to get started.

Don Bullock
02-26-2007, 9:33 AM
I like Jim's take on this. It always depends on the type of work you are doing. I was wondering if there is the possibility of getting a 36" extension and then an extra 16", or even longer one, that attaches when you need it. When I saw the Jointech system demonstrated at a recent woodworking show, it looked like that would be possible with their system. If I heard him right, which may not be the case, the guy demonstrating their equipment said their extra extension can be added on either end. I do know that it can be added front and rear, which is a nice feature for help with infeed or outfeed.

glenn bradley
02-26-2007, 9:56 AM
I have a Bies with a 30" reach and have wanted a little more now and then. I have always been able to work around it but given the opportunity would just go longer. Space and your layout will eventually finalize your decision. think about what you make. If large panels are often employed I would go bigger. If it is a now and then thing, save space for something else.

Mark Visconti
02-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Matt,

I'm in the same spot. After $3k for the 5hp + another $400 to $500 for shipping, all the accessories are (almost) noise. I have a ts55 so I don't plan to cut down sheet goods on the sawstop.

I'm trying to determine what "accessories" are the right ones to purchase with the saw.

Also, I need a mobile base because frankly, I'm not sure where the best place for the saw is going to be. The retailer that I'm working with sells the HTC mobile base with it. Is there a better choice ?

Is their fence system the right answer ? I have an Incra LS Positioner on my router table that I like.

(Edited - Incra TS fence and Super system very different animals)

Doug M Jones
02-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks for asking the question, I've been pondering the same issue. I have myself convinced on purchasing the shorter rails due to #1 cost, I'm not looking at SawStop as its out of my price range but on the machines I'm looking at the longer rails are $250 or so higher. #2 space, I am outfitting a small shop in my basement and while the larger rails could fit, it would be close. I don't plan on building large amounts of cabinet type projects and think the shorter rails would do.

Per Swenson
02-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi Mark,

The incra fence was (for us) a gamble that paid off.

After two years of hard labor I would not use any other

fence system again on a North American style saw.

Per

Matt Donohue
02-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the input. It's always good to have other opinions. I hadn't thought about using a different fence like Incra. Now I have to make another decision! :confused: :D

Glen Blanchard
02-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Also, I need a mobile base because frankly, I'm not sure where the best place for the saw is going to be. The retailer that I'm working with sells the HTC mobile base with it. Is there a better choice ?

Mark - If you can hold out for a while, you may want to defer the decision until this summer. The SawStop folks are coming out with their own mobile base at that time and it supposed to be heads and tails better than anything currently available.

Rod Sheridan
02-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi Matt, depends upon what work you do.

I have a General 650 with 32" rip capacity. Anything larger doesn't fit my shop, so I always design projects with a panel size no larger than 30".

Simplistic, yet sucessful.

P.S. My saw has the General Bies clone fence, along with a 30" deep folding outfeed table on a home made steel portable base.

regards, Rod.

Pete Brown
02-26-2007, 2:57 PM
Hi Mark,
The incra fence was (for us) a gamble that paid off.
After two years of hard labor I would not use any other
fence system again on a North American style saw.
Per

I second Per's opinion of the Incra. Mine has served me very well. I like it so much, that I cut a hole (and built a box extension) in the wall in my workshop so that I can get the full rip of the fence without having to leave extra room for positioner arm :)

Pete

Ben Grunow
02-26-2007, 9:31 PM
The SS fence won the side load deflection comparison test in some magazine and after about 8 months of hobby use, my fence is still in alignment. The 36" capacity fence also allows a slightly larger cut, maybe 37 1/2" (pretty sure of this, ask and I will verify if this is an important issue for you) even though the saw's scale stops at 36. See lousy pics of my shop here.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48367

Von Bickley
02-26-2007, 9:48 PM
If you have the room, I would go for the bigger one...;)

JIm McMullen
02-26-2007, 11:19 PM
hi Matt,
I have the larger table and the HTC base. If I were to buy again, I would order the saw w/out a table or get the small table if necessary, only because I would build the large one. The tables are not that good. The base is fine--moves the saw with ease. The machine itself is excellent--I have the 3HP and find it's plenty strong for my needs. The fence is a lot better than many feel in my opinion. Good luck. Jim

Art Mulder
02-27-2007, 6:55 AM
... the Incra. ... I like it so much, that I cut a hole (and built a box extension) in the wall in my workshop so that I can get the full rip of the fence without having to leave extra room for positioner arm :)

Bingo.

Whenever I see an Incra -- I think that it may be a fine fence, but it would be tough for anyone in a small/compact shop, because of the way the arm sticks out to the side.

And having a shop in the basement, cutting a hole in the wall to accomodate the fence arm is ... well it's not going to happen. :cool:

David Cramer
02-27-2007, 7:44 AM
I would definitely go for the bigger one if you can make it happen space wise. I went with the 50" (actually cuts 51 and 1/2) in my shop and have never regretted it since I cut a lot of sheet goods. It has other advantages also.

Dave