PDA

View Full Version : bowl model

Benjamin Dahl
02-26-2007, 7:54 AM
This is my first bowl. I want to turn some salad bowls soon and decided to make a small mock-up before the real deal. this was a chunk of wood from a fairly decomposed stump in a neighbor's yard. they were not sure what type of tree it was and I have no clue. in any case the wood was very punky. I used some CA to stabilize a few spots but it still was a little difficult to work with. the piece is 3.5 inches wide by 2.25 inches tall. it reminds me more of an ashtray than a salad bowl but hopefully once it is to scale it will work for me. suggestions welcome.
-Ben

Mark Pruitt
02-26-2007, 8:00 AM
That's a neat looking piece of "dunno" wood, too bad you couldn't identify the species. You definitely have the basics down well. My only suggestion would be to take a little more off the outside near the bottom, making the curve more gentle. Be sure and post pics of the others when you get 'em done!

Keith Burns
02-26-2007, 8:03 AM
Nice first bowl Benjamin.:) :) I agree with Mark about curving the sides more to the bottom.

Benjamin Dahl
02-26-2007, 8:50 AM
thanks Mark and Keith, I agree that taking a little more off would make it more subtle and nice; will try that in future attempts. my mother had some straight sided salad bowls when I was growing up and I think that design was stuck in my head. I will make a few more design attempts before settling on one for my bowls.
Ben

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2007, 9:18 AM
That is a nice first bowl Benjamin. Ditto Keith and Mark.

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2007, 9:25 AM
Not bad for a first bowl! Experiment and you will find a form that just jumps out at you. Have fun and post pics of what you end up with!

Glenn Hodges
02-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Benjamin, you chose some beautiful wood to make your first bowl from. Punky wood is not easily worked with so I congratulate you on your success. I know you will start looking at bowls more than ever now that you have started to turn them. This will give you good ideas about design. One design rule I try to adhere to is the bottom should be 1/3 the size of the top. This will give you a functionlly and a beartiful piece of work. You are on a great start, and I will look forward to more of your pictures posted here.

George Tokarev
02-26-2007, 12:47 PM
That's an OK design - and a nifty piece of wood - for eating the salad out of, but serving wants broad and less deep for ease of toss, where stuff can't hide in a corner, and heaping up in the middle. Makes it easier to bring to the table by cradling it under the rim, too.

John Hart
02-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Ben, I wouldn't dare give advice on form....seein's how I'm a formidiot.:rolleyes:
I'm guessin' that that is cherry. Had a whole garage full of rotten punky cherry once, and it looked just like that. ;)

Paul Engle
02-26-2007, 1:44 PM
Just a note that salad bowl need wide foot. other wise lookin good :D

Tom Sherman
02-26-2007, 5:02 PM
Nice bowl and great wood Ben

Skip Spaulding
02-26-2007, 5:24 PM
Pretty wood, not bad at all for 1st bowl. I find that the wood sometimes dictates its own shape when i'm turning! I haven't been at it that long but this forum has really helped. Good luck with the salad bowls, looking forward to seeing them.

Ernie Nyvall
02-26-2007, 8:07 PM
Nice first bowl Benjamin. I agree with others about the curved sides.

James Duxbury
02-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Benjamin,

Nice bowl and a great first. Keep it to look back on in a few years. Good idea to start with something small too. You can make 5 bowls 5" dia in the time it takes to make one 12". To learn make a bunch of small, different shapes ones. Nice job.