PDA

View Full Version : Project: Outfeed Table

Matt Meiser
02-25-2007, 9:53 PM
Finally got around to starting on a new outfeed table for my saw today. Previously I had a set of cabinets. I moved the cabinets to be the base of my miter saw because I wanted something smaller for the outfeed table. Then I realized that my old Stablemate miter saw stand never sold and had a lot of nice looking steel tubing. So I disassembled it and started welding up this frame.

Originally I was going to drill holes in the back rail of my Bies. fence. Then I came up with the idea to clamp it in place for easy removal. Two small C-clamps with the heads ground down to fit through a 1/2" hole were perfect clamps. I also made adjustable feet for leveling the table as needed.

The top is going to be 3/4" MDF with laminate. I'm trying to decide if I should add a cross-brace to the center of the top to support the MDF better? Or maybe just a 1x cleat on the bottom?

Jim Becker
02-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Give a man a welder and he goes wild!! Very nice work, Matt!!!!

Matt Meiser
02-26-2007, 9:27 PM
Tonight's update. Someone on another forum suggested that it would be better to have more support so I added another cross piece. I also painted it with some clearance gray spray paint I've had in my cabinet for a long time. Turned out nice and dried to the touch in 10 minutes, to handle in 1hr. That's my kind of paint. :D

I also started installing my router in my extension table. The bit's bearing retainer came loose (lost set screw) and dug into the template. :mad: I'm fixing it with epoxy and it should look OK in the end.

I found out today that our health and safety director at work wants our off-site storage unit cleaned out. Apparrently she thinks stacks of furniture 8' high are dangerous? Looks like I will be able to get a couple of nice work surfaces for free out of there later this week and one should work well for this table.

Ted Miller
02-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Matt, Looks good, and since oyu are not spanning very far 3/4" MDF will be fine or even 3/4" melamine would work perfect...

Matt Meiser
03-03-2007, 4:28 PM
Finished the table up today. The top is a sheet of MDF (never made it to the storage unit at work) with some clearance sale laminate. To dress up the edge of the MDF I used some heat-sensitive edge banding.

I also mostly built my router fence today. Just need to add some dust collection.

Kyle Kraft
03-03-2007, 6:56 PM
Matt,
Very nice! I really like the router table fence thingy that clamps to the TS fence. I'll have to make me one!!

Jim Becker
03-03-2007, 7:36 PM
That really turned out great, Matt!

Von Bickley
03-03-2007, 8:49 PM
Matt,

Great looking outfeed table. My outfeed table is 4' wide and 6' long and doubles as an assembly table.
An outfeed table for a table saw is one of the best shop improvements you will ever make.:) :) :)

Matt Meiser
03-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Matt,
Very nice! I really like the router table fence thingy that clamps to the TS fence. I'll have to make me one!!

Kyle, take a look at this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49665) for other ideas. I blatently stole from Jeremy Gibson's design.

Ted Miller
03-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Matt, very nice...