PDA

View Full Version : best way to cut down TS fence rails

Jason Morgan
02-25-2007, 9:21 PM
Ive decided to shorten my table saw rails in an attempt to conserve space in my new smaller shop. I currently have a powermatic 64A contractor type saw with 50" capacity right extension. I dont think Ive ever used the whole 50" for ripping anything. Anyway, I want to cut the rails down to ~32" or 36" cut capacity and would like to know what the best method of cutting it would be. Im thinking either hack saw? jigsaw with metal blade? Miter saw with metal blade? any other suggestions?

Thanks

Bruce Wrenn
02-25-2007, 9:35 PM
For steel rails, first choice would be a power hacksaw, either portable, or a horizontal one. Next choice would be steel (not carbide) plywood blade in circular saw. Be prepared for a lot of noise. Of course after cutting rails, blade won't be of much use for cutting plywood.

Mike Langford
02-25-2007, 9:42 PM
Don't cut 'em :eek: Trade with ME! :D

What type of fence system is it......I've got a Delta 30" T2 style on a contractor saw......

Gary Herrmann
02-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Metal cutting blade in a CS, clean up the edges with a file. Worked fine for me.

Mike Heidrick
02-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Ive decided to shorten my table saw rails in an attempt to conserve space in my new smaller shop. I currently have a powermatic 64A contractor type saw with 50" capacity right extension. I dont think Ive ever used the whole 50" for ripping anything. Anyway, I want to cut the rails down to ~32" or 36" cut capacity and would like to know what the best method of cutting it would be. Im thinking either hack saw? jigsaw with metal blade? Miter saw with metal blade? any other suggestions?

Thanks

Abrasive metal cutoff saw with a good 90 degree vise.

Metal cutting portable bandsaw.

Miter saw with metal blade but that may kill the miter saw though.

Rob Blaustein
02-25-2007, 11:40 PM
I need to do something similar and was planning to use a reciprocating saw with a blade for cutting metal. I've cut angle iron this way pretty easily and was hoping it would be a good way to cut the rails, though I realize they are thicker. Has anyone done it that way?

"Gary Brewer"
02-26-2007, 12:31 AM
I agree with Rob, a Milwaukee sawzall ( or any good reciprocating saw ) with a decent new metal cutting blade would do it easily. Also using Milwaukee's pipe cutting jig would make it easier to get a square cut ( It consists of a chain to hold the object attached to a bracket to hold the Sawzall. )
Gary

Calvin Crutchfield
02-26-2007, 12:45 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G8692-Portable-Bandsaw-Stand/dp/B0000DCZ7H/sr=8-2/qid=1172468541/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-2304609-9643020?ie=UTF8&s=hi (Grizzly saw)

I just recently cut all my rails to make room for the Jessem Mastr-Slide..

Greg Narozniak
02-26-2007, 7:57 AM
Abrasive metal cutoff saw with a good 90 degree vise.

Ditto, I used my Makita Metal Chop Saw to trim down the left edge of my Unisaw fence. In the first week I bumped my Hip on it one too many times. I removed the rail, popped the plastic cap off and chopped away reinstalled the end cap, then reinstalled the rail. It looks like it was factory done.

Any Miter saw with an Abrasive wheel would do fine.

Rick Lizek
02-26-2007, 8:37 AM
"Next choice would be steel (not carbide) plywood blade in circular saw"
I think is bad advice. There's several ways to cut it. A few more than are mentioned here as well.
My comment is to cut them in the same spot and keep it attached to the table and you can hinge it so it becomes full sized again. I've done this for several guys and I put slides under the table like a drop leaf table to support it in the up position. This way you get the best of both worlds should you need the 50" on occasion. This operation was based on the rectangular rails of a Bies type fence.

Rod Sheridan
02-26-2007, 9:22 AM
I use a horizontal metal bandsaw........Rod.

Larry Fox
02-26-2007, 9:32 AM
I used a hand-held hacksaw to cut my Biesemeyer rails and cleaned them up with a file. Took about 30 minutes to do the whole thing and they came out fine.

Anthony Anderson
02-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Jason, Mark the rails to the length that you want, and take them to your local metal shop. They should be able to make the cuts for you for about $20. I know it is a pain, but at least the cuts will be square, in the event you want to reattach the cut off portion in the future. Good Luck, Bill

Elliott Cameron
02-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Hello.

I recently cut my 50" Bisemeyer rails down for the same reason. I cut the rails and the guide tube with my Bosch 1587AVS jigsaw with a BoschT118G blade. I actually used 3 of 'em through the whole process. One was used on the guide tube and the other two were worn out on the hard steel of the rails.
I cut mine down for 36" capacity by cutting the guide tube at the 40-1/4" mark and removed 8-1/8" from the front & back rails.
To cut the guide tube , I first drilled a 3/8 hole on the BOTTOM of the tube and worked my way around from there. All the cuts cleaned up well with a few swipes from a file and it looks real good.
I'll try to popst a pic or two this evening if yer interested.
BTW , my Ridgid 3650 needed some surgery also to accept the Biesemeyer fence rails.

Elliott

Jason Morgan
02-26-2007, 1:00 PM
I was hoping this would be a popluar thread and is sounds like it is.

Hand hack saw sounds like it will work - I may give that a try

I have a 10" compound miter saw (delta) that I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade...would be a fine sendoff if the tool ended its career making another tool better. :D

I have a VS Bosch jigsaw with a metal cutting blade(s). This was actually my favorite, but I think it might be hard on it. I would hate to trash it.:rolleyes:

I dont have a sawzall, but that doesnt mean I dont need one :D

Thanks again. Sounds like I am on the right track no matter what I do, but it really helps to have a little assurance from you guys.

Jake Helmboldt
02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
how much would shipping be to VA? I have the same saw w/ short rails and would consider a swap depending upon cost. May be prohibitive.

Jh

Dick Strauss
02-27-2007, 3:18 AM
Jason,
I vote for a metal cutoff wheel on an angle grinder. I can cut 2" stock on the order of 10x faster than an abrasive wheel on a CMS. You'll be able to cut off your fence in no time if you're comfortable using an angle grinder.