PDA

View Full Version : Any AR guys here?

Mike Heidrick
02-25-2007, 8:39 PM
Any AR/M15 gun owners here?
Just got my first one. Looking for ideas on scopes for one.
Thinking the Leupold CQ/T.

David Wilson
02-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Love AR15's. Wish I could afford one. A friend loaned me one for about 8 years and must have gone through 1K rounds. Mounted a 3 to 9 pwr var scope (don't remember the brand) and could easily drop a jack rabbit at 100 yds +.

PS this is a wood working sight.

Larry Browning
02-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Silly me, I thought you wanted to know if there were any Arkansas guys here.
What's an AR15? Is it made in Arkansas?
PS I don't know much about guns.

Mike Cutler
02-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Silly me, I thought you wanted to know if there were any Arkansas guys here.
What's an AR15? Is it made in Arkansas?
PS I don't know much about guns.

Jeez' Larry, with your last name ya' gotta be able to at least fake it for us.:D,:eek:,;)

Bill Grumbine
02-26-2007, 6:38 AM
Mike, check www.thehighroad.org for any questions you might have. Someone will have an answer.

Jeez' Larry, with your last name ya' gotta be able to at least fake it for us.:D,:eek:,;)

How 'bout it!?! Larry, aren't you related to that guy who invented the "Chicago Typewriter"? No wait, his name was Thompson.

Bill

David Wilson
02-26-2007, 7:10 AM
Mike
Forgot to mention. Check out AR15.com

Larry Browning
02-26-2007, 7:44 AM
I think my relatives have first name like Robert and Elizabeth.

Bob Smalser
02-26-2007, 8:46 AM
Not sure what model you have, but scopes on this rifle work best with a Picatinny Rail (flat top upper receiver) to get the mount down closer to the barrel where it is both comfortable and the parallax is reduced to something manageable. The Army flavor had a removable carrying handle so the scope could be removed and the rear iron sight remounted. We liked the Trijicon ACOG scope best. Mounted flat to the barrel, even beginners got consistent hits at 300yds with that scope-mount configuration.

While I shot a round or two out of M16's and once built a competition AR15, my own preference remains the M14 or M1A, but I'm just an old-fashioned walnut and forged steel guy. Although I own a couple, I don't particularly like a scope on the M14/M21, either....also mounted way too high. Unless low light is a problem, I actually shoot better with irons all the way through 1000 yds.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/2080858/34475479.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/2080858/204401819.jpg

When you're ready to handload for accuracy, give me a hollar if you want. Over the decades I shot for and coached several Army teams using M16's and have written some papers on the subject.

Al Willits
02-26-2007, 9:51 AM
Try JP Enterprises for just about anything you could need for a AR, they have some pretty accurate rifles and accessories.

http://www.jprifles.com/

Leopould makes some fine scopes, but look around a bit, there's some others that make a excellent scope, also look though them and see which on looks the best for what your gonna use it for.
I found the Lightseeker scope from Pentax actually was a brighter scope to me that the Leopould 3, and I liked how it funtioned better, personal choice though.

Al

Rod Torgeson
02-26-2007, 9:54 AM
Hello Bob.....Since you have done a lot of shooting and coaching Army teams, have you ever been to the National Rifle Matches in Camp Perry, Ohio? Just curious because I did all the computer programming for the statistics part in 1966.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Curt Harms
02-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Note to self--Don't be screwin' with Bob's stuff uninvited, even if he's not in sight :eek:

:D

Brett Baldwin
02-26-2007, 1:03 PM
Especially if he's not in sight Curt. If he's in sight, you have a guess as to how far he'll have to go for his rifle.;)

Joe Chritz
02-27-2007, 3:28 AM
Depends what you want to do with it.

I have shot about every optic option you can think of on an AR.

My duty gun is a RRA entry tactical (M4) with Eotech. About the best close range set up available.

Someone mentioned AR15.com. A great place to go for info on all kinds of shooting, once you sift through the BS.

Enjoy the evil black rifle

Joe

PS: check out general discussion on AR15 it is a thousand laughs.

Bob Smalser
02-28-2007, 9:40 AM
Hello Bob.....Since you have done a lot of shooting and coaching Army teams, have you ever been to the National Rifle Matches in Camp Perry, Ohio?
Once or twice. Beginning in 1967. I prefer the old POW billets. ;)

And I'm not kidding about flat-top scope mounting and high-light-gathering scopes for this rifle. Makes a world of difference, and the only way I'd put a scope on Matty Mattell's rifle.

Bill Grumbine
02-28-2007, 9:42 AM
Someone mentioned AR15.com. A great place to go for info on all kinds of shooting, once you sift through the BS.

Enjoy the evil black rifle

Joe

PS: check out general discussion on AR15 it is a thousand laughs.

That's why I suggested The High Road. It is a little more generalized, but some very good info, and not as many commandos. :rolleyes:

Lee DeRaud
02-28-2007, 10:53 AM
And I'm not kidding about flat-top scope mounting and high-light-gathering scopes for this rifle. Makes a world of difference, and the only way I'd put a scope on Matty Mattell's rifle.I agree with that on a functional basis, but aren't there still matches that only allow "GI-style" uppers with the integral carry handle?

Bob Smalser
02-28-2007, 3:35 PM
I agree with that on a functional basis, but aren't there still matches that only allow "GI-style" uppers with the integral carry handle?

You are correct. The DCM Service Rifle Rules these days apparently preclude detachable handles. I don't know why, because they allow heavy barrels....a real advantage over a rack rifle....where a sloppy-fitting carrying handle with rear sight would be just the opposite. My "DCM-legal" AR 15 weighed 13 pounds.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/competitions/rules.htm

But why bother with these rifles at all, unless you are a policeman or plan on competing in Service Rifle? Too small to hunt much with. Not as good as a shotgun for home defense. Ugly cast aluminum and plastic. Carries the "assault rifle" stigma. And as a Service Rifle, you can handload all the 5.56 you want, but you'll come up a loser against my 7.62 at 600 yards and out. Army and Marine standings have declined some since they switched to M16's for competition after I retired.

Or a scope, for that matter? Maybe for prairie dogs. Or a short-range police sniper with backup. In serious shooting, even the best of them are so much slower than irons, they can be a real hindrance in engagements under 200 yards.

Al Willits
02-28-2007, 10:14 PM
""""""""""""
But why bother with these rifles at all
"""""""""""
Prarire dogs, also pest control and small game hunting
cheap plunking
light recoil
cheap reloading
3 gun matches
Reworked can be quite accurate considering bullet weight

Probably a few more, but the biggie is, just because ya want one...:)

Al

Bob Smalser
03-01-2007, 9:57 AM
""""""""""""

Probably a few more, but the biggie is, just because ya want one...:)

Al

So long as your eyes are wide open. These are specialty rifles.

In the annual All-Army Small Arms Championships in my day, the "3-gun Match" was your combined score on the M9/M1911 pistol, M16 rifle, and M60 machine gun.

If you like the AR15, you'da loved the real thing.

Al Willits
03-01-2007, 1:37 PM
Actually I prefer a bolt gun, but the guys I know that owe them seem to enjoy the AR's, a few use then for Praire dog shooting and do quite well with them, they are much modified though.

Even more than a bolt gun, I enjoy handguns, was shooting Bullseye about the time you were shooting Bob, got bore punching holes in paper and got into IPSC, steel shoots and bowling pin matches...
The three gun I was refering to was the IPSC style of action shooting.
Different strokes for different folks.

""""""""
they can be a real hindrance in engagements under 200 yards.
"""""
Boy could we start an disscusion on that one...:)

Al

Paul Downes
03-02-2007, 2:20 PM
I have a brother who was on Tampa, Florida's SWAT team. (He's now the trainer) He carried an M-16 variant in the trunk of his squad car. He told me that there is several things to do to accurize the rifles. I don't know where you might find the information, but you might google for police/law enforcement sites to get the goods. All I know is that they work well on woodchucks.