PDA

View Full Version : A day with Mike Mahoney

Steven Evans
02-25-2007, 8:02 PM
I had the chance to attend an all day class that Mike put on for the local AAW chapter put on here in Vegas. I am new to turning but I found his class to be most informative. He is a very energetic person and he was a pleasure to be around him. I purchased one of his videos "From the Tree to the Table" which is packed with good info. Most important to me was the way he explains why to do things. It really helps me learn when I know why I am doing things. For those of you that do not know him he does gallery work and (he claims) mostly production utility work. Bowls, plates, platter etc... It is the utility, production work he covers in the video I bought. FYI- he can be found at bowlmakerinc.com and sells his finish oil and rough blanks. A real help for myself as I live in the desert.

Rich Souchek
02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Mike was down here in Houston about 6-8 weeks ago, and I also got in for a one day "session."
You are absolutely right about Mike being a good teacher and passing on all sorts of ideas. Just watching him turn a platter or wet elm bowl gave me all sorts of ideas on gouge presentation and how to get things done. He spent about an hour or so on tool design and sharpenening that was wonderful.
He makes things look so simple and easy that it is almost disgusting. I gotta keep remembering not to compare his work to mine.
Hope you put the new knowledge to good use.
Rich S.

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Steven I have the same tape you do. I was impressed with him as a teacher. I like when he use a swept back grind bowl gouge and then a conventional grind bowl gouge to finish. I followed his lead and it works.