PDA

View Full Version : Looking For An On-Line Source For Screws

Glen Blanchard
02-25-2007, 7:13 PM
I have some brass #2 x 3/8 flat head phillips wood screws and would like to get some "non-brass" equivalents. I am having a very difficult time finding #2 screws that are not brass. McFeeley's does not seem to have them. Anyone know of an on-line source likely to have these?

Roy McQuay
02-25-2007, 8:19 PM
Try ebay. They

Roy McQuay
02-25-2007, 8:20 PM
Try ebay. They may have it. I have bought ss screws there.

Brad Knabel
02-25-2007, 8:59 PM
It looks like Fastenal has them. You might even be able to get them at your local store.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?N=999600071+1199955950+1199915629&Nty=0

It looks like they sell these individually. It's a good thing you don't want slotted in this size - it looks like they have a 50000 minimum order for those :eek:.

Hans Loeblich
02-25-2007, 9:11 PM
I was just about to recommend fastenal also. For some reason there site won't load for me at the moment.

Jamie Buxton
02-25-2007, 9:11 PM
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/TWSSMFP.cfm

$3.10 for 100 #2x3/8" stainless steel phillips head wood screws

Ken Werner
02-25-2007, 9:12 PM
You might try

http://www.leevalley.com/home.aspx

Ken

Glen Blanchard
02-25-2007, 9:18 PM
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/TWSSMFP.cfm

$3.10 for 100 #2x3/8" stainless steel phillips head wood screws

Jamie - That link is for sheet metal screws. So what's the difference between sheet metal screws and wood screws?

Jamie Buxton
02-25-2007, 9:22 PM
Jamie - That link is for sheet metal screws. So what's the difference between sheet metal screws and wood screws?

I think that people who are being ultra-careful about their terminology (and a screw company might be) think that threads on a sheet-metal screw has threads all the way to the head, while a wood screw's threads stop short of the head. Me, I'd use their "sheet-metal" screws on wood without worrying.

Glen Blanchard
02-25-2007, 9:26 PM
I think that people who are being ultra-careful about their terminology (and a screw company might be) think that threads on a sheet-metal screw has threads all the way to the head, while a wood screw's threads stop short of the head. Me, I'd use their "sheet-metal" screws on wood without worrying.

That makes sense. Problem is, that for my application, having threads all the way to the head could be problematic.

Ron Brese
02-25-2007, 9:32 PM
McMaster Carr has everything you could think of.

Ron

Jamie Buxton
02-25-2007, 10:37 PM
That makes sense. Problem is, that for my application, having threads all the way to the head could be problematic.

Okay, I'll ask. What in heavens name are you using #2 screws for? And why would full-length threads be a problem?

dale rex
02-25-2007, 10:37 PM
try McFeely's..........they have everything in screws.

Glen Blanchard
02-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Okay, I'll ask. What in heavens name are you using #2 screws for? And why would full-length threads be a problem?

Jamie, I am using these to fasten wood runners to the inside of a small jewelry chest. The runners are fairly narrow, thus the reason for #2 screws. I place 2 screws in each runner, and due to the methods employed, it is important that these runners are not totally fixed in place, but rather have the ability to move slightly to accomodate the drawer as it is opened and closed. If the portion of the shank closest to the head of the screw has no threads, this small amount of "play" is possible. If the screw has threads all the way to the head, the screw will "fix" the wood runner to the chest. Hope that makes sense.

Jamie Buxton
02-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Jamie, I am using these to fasten wood runners to the inside of a small jewelry chest. The runners are fairly narrow, thus the reason for #2 screws. I place 2 screws in each runner, and due to the methods employed, it is important that these runners are not totally fixed in place, but rather have the ability to move slightly to accomodate the drawer as it is opened and closed. If the portion of the shank closest to the head of the screw has no threads, this small amount of "play" is possible. If the screw has threads all the way to the head, the screw will "fix" the wood runner to the chest. Hope that makes sense.

There's a clearance hole through the runner, right? That is, the threads only bite into the chest. If so, make the clearance hole one size larger, and there will be the play you want, even with threads on the full length of the screw.

Glen Blanchard
02-26-2007, 12:19 AM
There's a clearance hole through the runner, right? That is, the threads only bite into the chest. If so, make the clearance hole one size larger, and there will be the play you want, even with threads on the full length of the screw.

I actually do this with the screw in the runner to the rear of the chest - the hole closest to the front is smaller, and the runner can then pivot on this screw. I am fearul that if both holes are large enough to have some "play" in them, that it will throw off the spacing between drawers - which is a real challenge to get right in the first place.