PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Stand

Matt Meiser
02-25-2007, 6:42 PM
I remember seeing a post recently on grinder stands. I just finished mine tonight. Its not woodworking, but if you have a welder, a friend with a welder, or can find a local welding shop, this is inexpensive in the parts department. The base is a 14" steel wheel. The column is an old column out of my parent's basement (they had to replace them all because the bottom 1-2" rusted out. The top is a piece of 3/8" thick plate. The column happened to fit inside the center hub of the wheel perfectly so I just welded the column to the wheel (outside of the wheel facing down) and welded the top on. I then mixed up a bag of concrete and filled the wheel cavity. Finally I filled the column with packed play sand from the bottom and capped it with a round oak plug driven in with a mallet. The only vibration comes from the fact that my floor and/or the wheel aren't perfectly flat. I plan to fix that by putting some pieces of rubber under the wheel strategically place to make it rock-free.

BTW, the wood is just to hold it off the floor since I put another coat of paint on the wheel tonight.

Jim Becker
02-25-2007, 6:57 PM
Nice work, Matt...that's not going to walk around by itself!

Bart Leetch
02-25-2007, 7:47 PM
Matt

Since you know how to weld you could fix it this way. I have 3 points around the base of the stand made adjustable this way it works real good. As you can tell with my small shop this has set outside a couple of times. Maybe I'll get around & clean it up & paint it some day.

I don't seem to need any ballast.

This is my floor stand for outboard turning.

David G Baker
02-25-2007, 11:40 PM
I remember seeing a post recently on grinder stands. I just finished mine tonight. Its not woodworking, but if you have a welder, a friend with a welder, or can find a local welding shop, this is inexpensive in the parts department. The base is a 14" steel wheel. The column is an old column out of my parent's basement (they had to replace them all because the bottom 1-2" rusted out. The top is a piece of 3/8" thick plate. The column happened to fit inside the center hub of the wheel perfectly so I just welded the column to the wheel (outside of the wheel facing down) and welded the top on. I then mixed up a bag of concrete and filled the wheel cavity. Finally I filled the column with packed play sand from the bottom and capped it with a round oak plug driven in with a mallet. The only vibration comes from the fact that my floor and/or the wheel aren't perfectly flat. I plan to fix that by putting some pieces of rubber under the wheel strategically place to make it rock-free.

BTW, the wood is just to hold it off the floor since I put another coat of paint on the wheel tonight.
Matt,
I made a stand for my grinder about 10 years ago. I didn't have a wheel rim so I used a 3/8" steel plate as a base and welded 2" pipe to it. The base warped from the heat so I have to stand on the front of it every time I want to put any pressure on the grinding wheel. I like your idea much better.
David B

Matt Meiser
02-26-2007, 8:10 AM
The 3/8" plate on the top of mine warped noticably too. Guess I got good penetration. :) It wasn't a problem though because I was leaving the rubber feet on the grinder anyway.