PDA

View Full Version : Time for a "Check Up"

Pete Jordan
02-25-2007, 5:50 PM
I finally got around to working on the bottom of this walnut bowl thingy after a few days. It must not be ready because it cracked all over the place!
It is 12 by 5 but it will probably end up 12 by 2.

I was hoping to give a friend a bowl from the wood she gave but hopefully she will settle for a plate.

George Tokarev
02-25-2007, 6:42 PM
Winter rules? What's your relative humidity? Sister lived in Dansville, and as I recall even she had to heat this time of year. Can really lower the RH when you do that. Even faster if you leave your rough around a forced air duct. Shame to lose such a well-colored piece as that, but there should be plenty more available, if I recall correctly. Thin fast or dry slow.

Keith Burns
02-25-2007, 7:07 PM
Man Pete, I hate it when that happens ! Don't give up on it,ya never know what may be hiding in there.

Reed Gray
02-25-2007, 10:25 PM
I am surprised it cracked like that. I find walnut to be one of the easier woods to dry. Perhaps you tried to dry it too fast. A sloppy wet piece, taken inside a heated house in your area will dry too fast, causing cracks like the ones you have.
robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2007, 10:42 PM
I agree with Reed. I think maybe it was dried to fast Pete. I have had a couple of walnut pieces do that. If I keep them in cool dry place it doesn't seem to happen.

John Hart
02-26-2007, 6:27 AM
I put a piece on the wood burner the other day to see if I could burn off a little surface water. Got called away and left it there for about 20 minutes. Got cracks just like yours Pete. Looks like a cool piece you got going though. ;)

Tom Sherman
02-26-2007, 4:18 PM
That's the pitts Pete, looks real nice shame about the cracks.

Ernie Nyvall
02-26-2007, 8:00 PM
Too bad about the cracks Pete. Anyway to Ca them?