PDA

View Full Version : My Hobbby

Tom Cowie
02-25-2007, 4:34 PM
Hello to all,

I've been in the shadows of your fine forum for a couple of months now and I must say this is one of the most informative ones out there. I came here looking for help on some new areas (dust collection and carving ). There is so much info here that it can be a little overwhelming. Thanks to all for contributing. You never know who you might help.

Here's some of my past projects..

Thanks again Tom

Yes i do like the Leigh jig :D

lou sansone
02-25-2007, 5:24 PM
great looking chests. thanks for sharing them with us. what are you working on now?
lou

Tom Cowie
02-25-2007, 5:29 PM
great looking chests. thanks for sharing them with us. what are you working on now?
lou

Thanks Lou

"Hunny Doos" mostly, Also a desk unit. I'll post a pix of it when it is finished. It has some very interesting wood.

Tom

Jim Becker
02-25-2007, 5:49 PM
Welcome, Tom....and great work, too!

When you have a copious free moment, 'splain a little about the "dipped corner" on that first piece...very interesting...

Paul Douglass
02-25-2007, 6:21 PM
Welcome and Beautiful!

Tom Cowie
02-25-2007, 8:37 PM

When you have a copious free moment, 'splain a little about the "dipped corner" on that first piece...very interesting...

Hi Jim

I had a bear of a time with the walnut inlay so I wanted to expose as much as posible.

By the way I'm envious of the new saw :o :o

Tom

Craig Stueve
02-25-2007, 9:13 PM
Welcome Tom. I have to agree with Jim that your corners look very interesting.

I'll take an under educated stab at how you might try to achieve that look. It seems to me that you would be able get that look by making sacrificial copies of the pins and tails as you are cutting them on the real panels. Then one at a time assemble one of the real pieces with the corresponding sacrificial piece. Then proceede to carefully and nervously cut them down on the tablesaw or bandsaw. As I sit here and think about it you might be able to add even more visual interest by cutting the pieces at a slight angle. I will have to keep this little idea filed away for some box making I have planned.

Craig

Tom Cowie
02-25-2007, 9:50 PM
[quote=Craig Stueve]Welcome Tom. I have to agree with Jim that your corners look very interesting.

I'll take an under educated stab at how you might try to achieve that look. It seems to me that you would be able get that look by making sacrificial copies of the pins and tails as you are cutting them on the real panels. Then one at a time assemble one of the real pieces with the corresponding sacrificial piece. Then proceede to carefully and nervously cut them down on the tablesaw or bandsaw. As I sit here and think about it you might be able to add even more visual interest by cutting the pieces at a slight angle. I will have to keep this little idea filed away for some box making I have planned.

Craig,
I owe it all to a Dewalt 708 scm saw. I cut the boards to size and then dovetailed on the Leigh jig. From there the scm took over using the depth stop ( miter and bevel). It's truely not difficult, I just wanted to have all three cuts on this base.

If you use this on a small box it looks great. Think past the cut you are about to make, it will help.

Tom

Mike Cutler
02-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Tom.

Welcome, and those are some fine lookin' chests you have there.
That is an interesting little twist you have with that beveled corner. Nice touch.

Eric Wong
02-26-2007, 7:36 PM
Hey Tom, what kind of lift is that?

Ted Miller
02-26-2007, 7:58 PM
Nice work Tom, and yes my brain often explodes daily from this forum, doesn't matter how many years in WW you have, you can always learn new things, I do here daily...

Tom Cowie
02-27-2007, 6:21 AM
Hey Tom, what kind of lift is that?

Eric

It's a hydrolic lift cart that I've had for a few years I bought it at at Tractor Supply store for about 200.00.

I use it alot. I've started to see them in the woodworkers magazines in the Tips section. I should have sent it in and won the router :) Oh well.

It is very heavy about 150lbs I think..

Tom

David Cramer
02-27-2007, 7:50 AM
Very nice Tom! I also like the Leigh Jig and those are some tight nice looking joints! Well done, friend.

Dave

Ron Brese
02-27-2007, 9:00 AM
The Dipped Corner is a new idea. I like the whimsical nature of that detail. Very original!

Ron

Don Bullock
02-27-2007, 9:27 AM
Tom, I really like both chests. Your joints look fantastric. Of courst, the corner on your first chest is very interesting. It's an intriguing touch that draws the eye to look at your well done joint. That's a great idea.

Rich Torino
02-27-2007, 9:34 AM
Nice looking chest and great dovetail work... I really have get me one of those...

Tom Cowie
02-27-2007, 7:42 PM

Hello to all,

This may help with the explanation of the "slope-miter-bevel-dovetail "joint:p :p

Do you think I could win a router this month:D

Hope this helps, it's kind of rough.

Thanks for all the comments.

Tom

Don Bullock
02-27-2007, 7:57 PM
Tom, that makes it very clear to me. Thanks for sharing your ideas and talent. Yes, go for the router!!!;) :D

BTW --- Your idea and pictures are now part of the woodworking design notebook I'm putting together for my use.