PDA

View Full Version : Urethane Bandsaw Tires

Christopher K. Hartley
02-25-2007, 2:12 PM
I recently went to my local wood working store to see about urethane tires for my band saw. They had a set for my 12" band saw that cost about $58. I just saw urethane tires on The "Wood Chips" web site for just over $20 before shipping. My question is what is the reason for such a cost variance?:confused:

Harvey M. Taylor
02-25-2007, 2:35 PM
maybe it is the beauty in the eyes of the 'holder'. Just a guess.Max

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-25-2007, 3:29 PM
Charles has always been under everyone! I buy all my stuff from him. His prices on the Crown tools are excellent.

Christopher K. Hartley
02-25-2007, 3:44 PM
Charles has always been under everyone! I buy all my stuff from him. His prices on the Crown tools are excellent.Being better priced is one thing but we're talking twice as much as the website. Are urethane tires that different?:confused:

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2007, 4:15 PM
Christohper it is kinda like Timberwolf blades at Woodcraft costing double without shipping than buying them from Timberwolf. Our wood store here had them for $62. I called him on it but he wouldn't budge even when I showed him. He said order them and walked away. Small town either buy or order.

Dick Durbin
02-25-2007, 4:22 PM
I replaced mine with urethane tires from Rockler for about $25 a pair plus shipping.

Christopher K. Hartley
02-25-2007, 5:54 PM
Christohper it is kinda like Timberwolf blades at Woodcraft costing double without shipping than buying them from Timberwolf. Our wood store here had them for $62. I called him on it but he wouldn't budge even when I showed him. He said order them and walked away. Small town either buy or order.So, if I understand what you are saying, a urethane tire is a urethane tire and there isn't much difference in grades of them. Is that correct?:confused:

Brad Trent
02-25-2007, 6:36 PM
The only differences I have ever noticed in the various urethane tires is the color, which doesn't matter much to me, and the weld. If you look at the weld on some of the tires, they are noticably rougher than on some of the better quality tires. This doesn't necessarily mean that you can't smooth them, you just have to be aware and keep from creating a flat spot.

glenn bradley
02-25-2007, 9:47 PM
The Rockler ones my dad has have a lifetime warranty on the weld. If it fails; new tires for free. $20 - $25 per pair. I've not found a difference when comparing them side by side (actually holding them in my hands) with others costing twice as much.

Boyd Gathwright
02-25-2007, 11:31 PM
.... Chris, you might want to get in touch with "Iturra Design" Phone: 1 888 722 7078 Located in Jacksonville, Fl. Ask for Lewis, from what I know there isn't anything he doesn't know about bandsaws. Also, he will send you a catalog "FREE" that is just packed with information on, I think, just about any bandsaw ever made. And, he will take the time to answer your questions. Last I heard there was a WEB site in the works but I don't know just where that stands at present.

Good luck :)

So, if I understand what you are saying, a urethane tire is a urethane tire and there isn't much difference in grades of them. Is that correct?:confused:

Christopher K. Hartley
02-26-2007, 6:38 AM
Thanks everyone this was very helpful.:)

Bill Swanson
01-08-2009, 8:18 PM
In a older post this site was mentioned. Does anyone know the URL for the site?

Myk Rian
01-08-2009, 8:37 PM
I went from rubber to urethane on my BS just a few weeks ago. A world of difference. Take care to not get them to over 140 deg when you soak them in water.
I had to trim one of them to fit the width of the upper wheel. I used my spindle sander to do it. Worked great.

Salem Ganzhorn
06-18-2009, 10:54 PM
I went from rubber to urethane on my BS just a few weeks ago. A world of difference. Take care to not get them to over 140 deg when you soak them in water.
I had to trim one of them to fit the width of the upper wheel. I used my spindle sander to do it. Worked great.

Thanks for the tip. I had to swap out one of my tires tonight and I used your trick with the spindle sander. It worked well and got the job done!

george wilson
06-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Wasn't there a complaint about urethane tires mentioned here some time ago? Something about them not staying on the wheels? I can't recall. Someone may remember.

Bob Slater
06-19-2009, 12:23 AM
So, if I understand what you are saying, a urethane tire is a urethane tire and there isn't much difference in grades of them. Is that correct?:confused:

Not sure about that. I bought Ebay tires for my General bandsaw and I think where the seam is there is a slight wobble, as the plastic weld is rougher. I tried sanding it down to make it perfect, but It is still a little rough at the joint. Overalll I don't think it matters.