PDA

View Full Version : Finished bench, stool, and gloat

Kyle Stiefel
02-25-2007, 1:57 PM
I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I have been getting back into the shop mode after the last couple of weeks. The Army decided to recall my wife and so she is off for another tour in Iraq which leaves me and the dog here to make dust unless of course they recall me as well.

I tried to take a couple of pics in different light conditions, it is quite challenging to render the image exactly as the item shows itself in front of you.

I completed a bench for the entry way which is kind of similar to something I had seen in a Woodcraft magazine a few issues ago. It is of lyptus and walnut. When I was down in Seattle where I have to bring all my wood up from I thought I would try some since it is being promoted a sustainable timber. I found it worked just fine but nothing special upon finishing.

The second project was a stool of walnut and ash. I needed to make a stool for the spotting scope that looks across the ocean bay to the mountains. I am a bicycle rider and kind of got the idea from a friend and also a bit of Thos Moser. My tenon wedges weren't dress right dress but I will get correct on the next one.

A few weeks my old Black and Decker cordless went bottoms up which I had been telling my wife it was likely to do soon after 2.5 years of trusty use. I had been eyeing the Festool C12 and went in for the kill. Great unit, went with the 3.0amp batteries and the attachment pack. As if Festool doesn't get enough praise around here but they make things the way they should be made.

Bench- Finish Deft Danish
Stool- Finish Deft Danish seat, legs-Deft Lacquer

Another thing I should have done other then lining up my wedges correctly was to slightly angle in the bench legs toward the seat I think.

Thanks for looking, opinions are welcome.

Jim Becker
02-25-2007, 2:00 PM
BEAUTIFUL work, Kyle!! I really like both the bench and the stool a lot.

Bummer on the LOYL's situation... :(

Bob Malone
02-25-2007, 2:07 PM
Kyle - this is a style of woodworking that I love!!!!!!!!

If you have some more pictures, especially of the walnut stool - it would be much appreciated. Any dimensions or plans? What process did you use to carve the seat? What finish did you use?

Absolutely fantastic!

Bob in Calgary

Kyle Stiefel
02-25-2007, 3:28 PM
Kyle - this is a style of woodworking that I love!!!!!!!!

If you have some more pictures, especially of the walnut stool - it would be much appreciated. Any dimensions or plans? What process did you use to carve the seat? What finish did you use?

Absolutely fantastic!

Bob in Calgary

Thanks for the comments Bob. My computer isn't wanting to accept more pictures from the camera at his moment, sorry.

The seat is about 13" x 11" and 19"H. I set the legs at about 12 degrees. I didn't have plans just looked at one my bicycle seat and increased it significantly. If you have any old beach cruiser type bicycle it is probably about the size of that I would imagine.

To carve the seat I start with one of the Lancelot wood carving discs, I use the 22 tooth but they have a 14 tooth. I then go to a tungsten carbide grinding wheel, I use there medium grit they have 3 grits total. Both of these items can be bought at Woodcraft or most equivalents.

It is now time to start sanding which I go up through the 4000 Abralon pad. Now time for 2 coats of Deft Danish oil over 3 days. Followed by Beall system tripoli and then the white compound, with the felt attachemnt wheels on my Festool Rotex. One last coat of Deft Danish and then a final buffing with the sheepskin.

That is pretty much the process for me.

Mike Weaver
02-25-2007, 3:40 PM
Kyle,
Nice work!

The bench and the seat look great!
(and, thanks for the extra post with your method on the seat).

Congrats on the new drill too.

Thanks for your wife's and your service to our country.

-Mike

Joe Unni
02-25-2007, 5:32 PM
Beautiful work Kyle!

Tell momma thank you!

-joe

Craig Stueve
02-25-2007, 9:24 PM
First and foremost tell your wife that I wish her a safe and uneventful tour in Iraq and that I appreciate the sacrifice both of you are making.

Secondly I want to say that those are 2 beautiful pieces. Please share more of your work.

Craig

Dave Ray
02-25-2007, 9:38 PM
Really nice work. Thank you and your wife for your service to the USA.

Jason Tuinstra
02-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Kyle, very nice looking work.

Zahid Naqvi
02-26-2007, 11:04 AM
nice work Kyle, I really like the contours and personal touch you put into both. That's what separates mass built furniture and custom built.

Ted Miller
02-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Kyle, Nice work and I love those tenon wedges...

Jim W. White
02-26-2007, 12:39 PM
A couple of GREAT peices!

I love the bike seat design! ..very cool.

I would also like to relay my thanks to you and your wife for your service to this country! As someone who was over there during Desert Storm, my prayers will be for both of you.

Jim in Idaho