PDA

View Full Version : Cracked casting on DeWalt miter saw

Alex Berkovsky
02-25-2007, 1:10 PM
I picked up a Ridgid MSUV stand to mount my DW716 onto. Well, I have the stand all set up and happy as a clam. I set the miter saw up to drill the mounting holes and for the very first time see a crack in the casting on the side. :mad: I know that I have never dropped or abused the saw since I got it from Amazon last September. I will be calling Amazon tomorrow to find out what my options are. I do hope that it can be replaced under warranty.

Dewayne Reding
02-25-2007, 1:31 PM
Alex

You may not want to fix it yourself. But as a last resort, call the Dewalt 1-800 and have your part number ready (get it from your manual or dewalt.com. I bet they will mail you a new base promptly, no questions asked. Have your Amazon order number handy, but I bet you don't even need it. They don't want you to return it to Amazon, because they have to eat the whole sale and do the refurb process.

Keith Webster
02-25-2007, 2:00 PM
I second Dewayne....Dewalt will replace that as quick as you call them. They have great cutomer service. Also you can try your local HD or Lowes to find out when the ole Dewalt Yellow truck rep will be at their location. The one that comes to my area is very helpful.

David Wambolt
02-25-2007, 4:11 PM
My guess is it was damaged during the original shipment of the saw. If you don't have any luck with Amazon or Dewalt, check for a local welding or fabrication shop. Someone could prep that area and run a TIG bead along the crack in the cast aluminum and just fuse it back together, perhaps without any filler. It might not be pretty, but it would most likely solve the problem. Shouldn't cost more than $20 and take about 10 minutes including prep. Welding cast sucks, but it will work in that non-vital area of the saw.

Alex Berkovsky
02-25-2007, 4:59 PM
Thanks for the advise guys... I will start with DeWalt and work my way down.

Dick Strauss
02-25-2007, 8:16 PM
Alex,
I've had good luck with Dewalt as well. Let us know if you have any problems...

Alex Berkovsky
02-26-2007, 7:01 PM
I called DeWalt this morning and expalined the situation; they promptly gave me the address of their closest repair center for warranty repair. I dropped of the saw today and should have it back in about 2 weeks. Can't complain with the service.