PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Apron Question

Kevin Herber
02-25-2007, 1:03 PM
I am making a shelf to span between two walls. The length is 77" wide, 12" deep. There will be a gentle curve along the front that will bow out four inches. I'm putting a 3 1/2" apron along the front. The shelf as well as the apron are 3/4" mdf and will be veneered.

My question is, should I attach the apron to the front of the shelf edge or below the shelf edge? I want the apron flush with the shelf, no setback or shadow line. The finished shelf will appear to be 3 1/2" thick. Does it make any difference where, or how, I attach the apron? I am planning on attaching the apron with biscuits and glue.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance. If this would be better in the design forum, feel free to move it there.

Trey Isbell
02-25-2007, 6:15 PM
You will have more support along the front of your shelf if you attach the apron below the shelf but if you join it over the front of your shelf with biscuits like you said it would be about the same either way would work

Ben Grunow
02-25-2007, 8:53 PM
If possible, try to install another apron that goes straight behind the curved one as the curve will detract from the strength of the apron. Maybe make it 3" deep so it is not seen? Then you could avoid veneering it.